NBC CEO Jeff Zucker took the stage at the All Things D conference for an interview with Kara Swisher. We’ve embedded the clip below. Toward the end of the interview, Jeff says he expects Web TV startup Hulu, which NBC owns along with News Corp, Disney and Providence Equity partners, to be profitable “soon.”
The transcript for that bit:
Jeff: We expect hulu to be positive for us very soon. Again, head of of plan. It’s exceeding every expectation.
Kara: Cash-flow positive?
Kara: It’s not profitable at this point?
Jeff: Soon. Soon. But you know it’s exceeded in every aspect. In every respect.
- Cable and broadcast television are fine. Local, maybe not.
- NBC is third place. We want to be in first place. We don’t have to be.
- There can still be in hits in TV, but they don’t last as long.
- We didn’t want to lose Jay Leno if he wasn’t going to retire. Also, we can make his new show cheap and nobody will DVR it.
- YouTube was built on our video, Lazy Sunday.
- Hulu Labs is asking for user-feedback.
- Hulu is ahead of plan, “we expect Hulu to be positive for us very soon.” Profitable soon.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.