This NBA offseason may eventually be remembered as the summer of Dwight Howard if a deal ever gets done, but as of right now, it’s been the summer of the geezer.Teams have been splashing absurd amount of cash on free agents over the age of 30 in an effort to stockpile experience and win immediately. Here’s a list of all the old guys who have cashed in so far.
- Gerald Wallace (29 — turns 30 July 23rd), four years, $40 million from the Brooklyn Nets
- Tim Duncan (36), three years, ~$36 million from the San Antonio Spurs
- Kevin Garnett (36), three years, $34 million from the Boston Celtics
- Steve Nash (38), three years, $27 million from the Los Angeles Lakers
- Jameer Nelson (30), three years, $19.7 million from the Orlando Magic
- Jamal Crawford (32), three years, $15.7 million from the Los Angeles Clippers
- Jason Terry (34), three years, $15 million from the Boston Celtics
- Marcus Camby (38), three years, $13.2 million from the New York Knicks
- Ray Allen (36), three years, $9.5 million from the Miami Heat
- Jason Kidd (39), three years, $9 million from the New York Knicks
- Boris Diaw (30), two years, $9 million from the San Antonio Spurs
- Chris Kaman (30), one year, $8 million from the Dallas Mavericks
- Kirk Hinrich (31), two years, ~$6 million from the Chicago Bulls
- Reggie Evans (32), three years, $5 million from the Brooklyn Nets
- Chauncey Billups (35), one year, up to $4.5 million from the Los Angeles Clippers
- Rashard Lewis (32), two years, $2.8 million from the Miami Heat
Total amount spent so far: around $254.4 million dollars. That number might fluctuate a bit once contracts can actually be finalised today, but it will only go up as Antawn Jamison (36) and Grant Hill (39) search for new homes.
The players with contracts listed above have a combined 199 NBA seasons under their belt. So why not roll the dice on playing a few more?
NOW WATCH: Briefing videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.