'Narcos' star says the Netflix show can't continue filming until the cast and crew is safe

Narcos s3Netflix/YouTube‘Narcos’ star Pedro Pascal

On September 11, 2017, Carlos Muñoz Portal, 37, was found dead in his car
with multiple gunshot wounds on a dirt road within a community just outside Mexico City.

Muñoz was in the area taking photos for work — he was scouting filming locations for the fourth season of the hit Netflix series “Narcos.” Muñoz also worked as a location scout on films including “Spectre” and “Sicario.”

While the circumstances of his death still remain unclear, the volume of criminal activity and organisations in that part of Mexico currently pose a threat to those who work there.

Actor and “Narcos” star Pedro Pascal recently spoke to TMZ about Muñoz’s death, saying, “It’s tragic.” Pascal also said that they can’t shoot the show right now.

“We can’t do it if it’s not safe, we’re talking about lives. If they want to do it, they will figure it out in a safe way.”

Season three of “Narcos” debuted on the streaming service earlier this month. Authorities have reportedly had trouble figuring out what happened to Muñoz, due to a lack of witnesses. It’s likely that production on “Narcos” could move back to Columbia, where it was originally filmed.

NOW WATCH: Briefing videos

Business Insider Emails & Alerts

Site highlights each day to your inbox.

Follow Business Insider Australia on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram.