- House Speaker Nancy Pelosi on Thursday got into an argument with a reporter who asked whether she hated the president.
- Pelosi was leaving a press conference when James Rosen, from the conservative-leaning Sinclair Broadcast Group, asked the question.
- “As a Catholic, I resent your using the word ‘hate’ in a sentence that addresses me,” Pelosi said, adding, “Don’t mess with me when it comes to words like that.”
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi got into a heated exchange on Thursday with a reporter who asked whether she hated the president.
Pelosi was leaving a press conference about the impeachment inquiry into President Donald Trump when James Rosen, from the conservative-leaning Sinclair Broadcast Group, asked, “Do you hate the president, Madam Speaker?”
The question stopped Pelosi short.
“I don’t hate anybody,” she said sternly, pointing at Rosen.
Rosen said that Rep. Doug Collins suggested at the House Judiciary Committee’s impeachment hearing on Wednesday“that the Democrats are doing this simply because they don’t like the guy.”
“I think it’s an important point,” Rosen added.
Pelosi returned to the podium to make herself clear.
“As a Catholic, I resent your using the word ‘hate’ in a sentence that addresses me,” she said. “I don’t hate anyone. I was raised in a way that is a heart full of love and always pray for the president. And I still pray for the president. I pray for the president all the time.
“So don’t mess with me when it comes to words like that,” Pelosi said, before storming off.
You can watch the full exchange below:
Q: "Do you hate the president?"@SpeakerPelosi: "I don't hate anybody…As a Catholic, I resent your using the word hate in a sentence that addresses me. I don't hate anyone…So, don't mess with me when it comes to words like that."
— CSPAN (@cspan) December 5, 2019
- Read more:
- Nancy Pelosi says House will move forward with articles of impeachment against Trump
- Republicans are once again using massive signs to defend Trump during an impeachment hearing, this time using Democrats’ own words
- Former House Speaker John Boehner cried as his portrait was unveiled in a uniting moment for Republicans and Democrats
- Nancy Pelosi invites Trump to testify in the impeachment inquiry and ‘speak all the truth that he wants’
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.