- Kaylen Ward, a model known on Twitter as the Naked Philanthropist, announced on Thursday that she will b e exchanging nudes for donations to help raise money for Puerto Rican earthquake relief efforts.
- Any of her Twitter followers who donate $US10 or more to an approved organisation will receive a naked photo. Ward has a team to verify each donation.
- The Naked Philanthropist made headlines earlier this month after raising over $US1 million for Australian wildfire relief efforts using the same approach.
- Naked philanthropy isn’t a new phenomenon – sex workers have used the strategy to raise money for different causes in the past like the Amazon forest fires.
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Not all heroes wear capes, according to fans of ‘the Naked Philanthropist’ Kaylen Ward.
Ward, a 20-year-old model and Instagram influencer, earned a name for herself with a wildly successful campaign that raised over $US1 millionfor the wildfire relief efforts in Australia. Every one of her followers was promised a nude photo if they donated to approved charities, and millions did.
I’m sending nudes to every person who donates atleast $10 to any one of these fundraisers for the earthquakes in Puerto Rico. You must post your donation confirmation in the comments below. Let’s help save Puerto Rico. #PuertoRicoEarthquake pic.twitter.com/YdOPI3KBtw
— THE NAKED PHILANTHROPIST (@lilearthangelk) January 15, 2020
Ward has a team of assistants who select charities and verify each donation before sending nudes
Just as she did with her Australia campaign, Ward told her followers that she will send nudes to anyone who donates $US10 or more to Puerto Rican earthquake relief organisations.
But, to get a naked photo, each donor needs to send proof of their transaction via Twitter to be vetted.
Ward will also be donating 30% of her profits made on OnlyFans, a paid-subscription adult site, to select Puerto Rican charities.
She has also hired a team of four assistants who pick which organisations to donate to.
Some Twitter users responded to her post critiquing the list for not including many local or grassroots organisations.
Naked philanthropy is not a new phenomenon and sex workers have used it in the past to raise money for other causes
The practice of sending nudes, videos, and other erotic content in exchange for donations to specific causes is gaining traction on social media.
But the practice is far from new.
Sex workers have used this kind of nudes-for-donations approach to raise money for other disasters, including Khate Rad, a model and artist who posted a censored erotic photo of herself on Instagram, encouraging her followers to donate $US20 or more to vetted relief organisations combatting Amazonian forest fires in August 2019.
And they often receive harsh backlash from people.
Ward herself said she dealt with people spreading her nudes for free, slut-shaming, and accusations of her pocketing the donations after her first fund fundrasier.
Puerto Rico was hit by two earthquakes within the first three weeks of 2020, still not having fully recovered from Hurricane Maria in 2017
Puerto Rico was hit by a magnitude 6.4 earthquake and magnitude 6 earthquake within a few days of each other in early January. Thousands of people were left homeless and hundreds of thousands without power and water, leading President Donald Trump to declare a state of emergency after the first earthquake.
The small island nation had still not fully recovered from the devastating impact of Hurricane Maria in 2017, only making it more susceptible to the damage it sustained earlier this month.
- Red skies are blanketing southeast Australia as hundreds of fires ravage the country
- Sex workers are fundraising for Australia bushfire relief by selling nude photos online. They have raised hundreds of thousands, but not without consequences.
- A ‘sugar baby’ military veteran reveals what it’s like to have ‘sugar daddies’ giving her cash, gifts, and free dinners
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.