- Brie Larson appeared at the MTV movie and TV awards and won the trophy for best fight for her character’s epic battle against Minn-Erva in “Captain Marvel.”
- At the awards show, which was filmed on Saturday at the Barker Hangar in Santa Monica, California and aired on MTV on Monday, Larson went on stage with her “Captain Marvel” stunt doubles, Joanna Bennett and Renae Moneymaker.
- The actress acknowledged the two women for their work in the film, and fans called Larson “generous” and a “class act.”
- Visit INSIDER’s homepage for more stories.
At the awards show, which was filmed on Saturday at the Barker Hangar in Santa Monica, California and aired on MTV on Monday, Larson won the award for best fight for her character’s epic showdown with Minn-Erva in “Captain Marvel.”
Rather than go on stage alone, the 29-year-old actress was accompanied by her stunt doubles, Joanna Bennett and Renae Moneymaker.
After thanking MTV and the fans for their support, Larson said, “I wanted to take this moment to really say thank you to two women who are standing here beside me. These are the women that trained me and were also the stunt doubles for ‘Captain Marvel.'”
Larson continued: “I could not have made this film without them. They are really the baseline of who she is. They are the living embodiment of Captain Marvel.'”
Stepping away from the microphone, she let Bennett and Moneymaker take over.
“It was such an honour to work on this film and it was just so exciting to be a part of bringing such a strong female character to life and to be able to do it together just made it such a very special experience for all of us,” Bennett said.
“As young girls, we wanted to be just like Lara Croft and GI Jane, so it’s a real honour to be a part of this character and hopefully pass along some of that inspiration and strength that those iconic women brought to us,” Moneymaker added.
Before concluding, Bennett also expressed how grateful she was to Larson for recognising their work.
“It’s truly a rare acknowledgment and it means so much not only to the both of us, but to the entire stunt community,” she said.
Fans online called Larson a “class act” for giving her stunt doubles credit and letting them speak during her speech.
— sтεvιε (@stayweirdstev) June 18, 2019
— Kim Fox (@kafoxy7) June 18, 2019
— traysijetta (@traysijetta) June 18, 2019
Much respect to @brielarson for bringing her stunt doubles on stage when she won for “Best Fight”!
She introduced them and let them give thank you speeches instead of her!!
— fattness (@fattness) June 18, 2019
— Mick summo ︽✵︽ (@RespectBrie) June 18, 2019
— ????????Lσrχχιηε அ???? (@msla94xo) June 18, 2019
— ⚡ Mighty Mutant Metahuman ⚡ (@MightyMutieMeta) June 18, 2019
— ???????????????????? ℝ. ℙ. ????️???? (they/them) #BLM #BTLM (@DavidRP91) June 18, 2019
Watch Larson, Bennett, and Moneymaker’s speech in the video below.
— MTV (@MTV) June 18, 2019
- Read more about the MTV movie and TV awards:
- The MTV movie and TV awards host made a joke about Ray J’s sex tape with Kim Kardashian, and viewers are losing it
- The Rock pays tribute to his Islander roots with a raucous dance performance and touching speech at the MTV Movie and TV Awards
- Here’s everything in the swag bag given to celebrities at this year’s MTV Movie and TV Awards
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.