- NBA icon Kobe Bryant died in a helicopter crash in Calabasas, California, on Sunday.
- The Los Angeles Lakers legend was just 41 years old.
- As the sports world mourns the tremendous loss, Madison Square Garden – otherwise known as the Mecca of Basketball – honoured the Black Mamba with purple and gold lights and a pre-game ceremony.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
NBA icon Kobe Bryant and his 13-year-old daughter, Gianna “Gigi” Bryant, died in a helicopter crash in Calabasas, California, on Sunday. The Los Angeles Lakers legend was just 41 years old.
Across the globe, the sports world is mourning the sudden and tragic loss – and the Mecca of Basketball is no exception.
New York’s Madison Square Garden honoured the late Black Mamba with purple and gold exterior lights.
The world’s most famous arena also hosted a ceremony prior to tip-off of Sunday night’s game between the New York Knicks and Brooklyn Nets.
- Read more:
- Remembering the highlights of Kobe Bryant’s illustrious career after his tragic death
- Gianna ‘Gigi’ Bryant, Kobe Bryant’s daughter, also died in the tragic helicopter accident that killed her father
- The sports world is reacting to the sudden and tragic death of Lakers legend Kobe Bryant
- Kobe Bryant says there are WNBA stars who ‘could most certainly keep up’ in the NBA