There’s yet another new mobile operating system coming out this year from Mozilla, the makers of the popular Web browser Firefox.
Here’s what you need to know about Firefox OS:
- Sprint has committed to carry Firefox OS phones. It’s the only U.S. carrier on board so far. Several international carrier have committed to carrier Firefox phones too.
- Apps will be based on HTML5, which should make it easy for developers to distribute their product.
- It’ll have an app store called the Firefox Marketplace.
- The OS will have direct Facebook and Twitter integration, just like the iPhone.
- A new searching tool will let you search content within apps along with basic stuff like contacts and emails.
- Alcatel, LG, ZTE, and Huawei have committed to make phones running Firefox OS. Sony will make a Firefox phone in 2014.
Here are a few screenshots of the OS. We’ll have more for you later today:
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.