- Americans stress out about a variety of issues, from money and work to current events (like shootings).
- A new WalletHub study shows that stress levels in some states are much higher than in others.
- According to the study, Louisiana is the most stressed out state, while Minnesota is the least.
Stress in America has remained a constant, with a recent survey by the American Psychological Association finding the youngest generations, Millennials and Gen Z, to be the most stressed out. Depression among Gen Z has also been on the rise.
Among the major factors affecting stress is where one lives.A recent WalletHub study compared 40 potential influences on stress “from average hours worked per week to personal bankruptcy rate to share of adults getting adequate sleep” throughout the 50 US states to determine where in the country Americans are the most stressed out.
Turns out the folks in Louisiana are currently feeling it most, as the state scored the lowest altogether on work-related, money-related, family-related, and health and safety-related stress factors. Mississippi and Arkansas were the second and third most stressed out states, respectively.
Massachusetts, Utah, and Minnesota, on the other hand, ranked as the least stressed out states.
Take a look at the map below to find out where in the ranking your state falls. The most stressed out states ranked the lowest (closer to one) and the least ranked the highest (closer to 50).
The study also found that, on average, people in Alaska work the most amount of hours per week, while people in California work the least. It also found that, on average, people in Hawaii get the least number of hours of sleep per night while those in North Dakota sleep the most.
The study also found that the highest percentage of people living in poverty is in Mississippi, while the lowest is in Hawaii, and that the highest crime rate per capita is in New Mexico, while the lowest is in Idaho.
- Read more:
- 21 sneaky signs you’re stressed – even if you think you aren’t
- What happens to your brain and body when you do yoga regularly
- 33 high-paying jobs for people who don’t like stress
- 4 ways to stop taking job stress out on your partner
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.