Facebook put together this cool map of the most talked about Winter Olympic sports in every country during the first week of the Olympics.
Some observations (see continent-by-continent maps below):
- Europe loves biathlon.
- Figure skating is the most popular sport so far, with a diverse selection of countries talking about it more than anything else this week.
- The first snowboarding medal in British history, a bronze by Jenny Jones in slopestyle, shot that sport to the top in the UK.
- Argentina likes curling?!
- Alpine skiing is #1 in Lebanon after Olympic skier Jackie Chamoun posed for a topless calendar.
- In many instances, medals dictate buzz. Snowboarding is #1 in Japan because of their silver and bronze in halfpipe. Ski jumping is #1 in Slovenia because of Peter Pervc’s silver.
Here are the maps by continent…
Europe loves biathlon, with a little ice hockey in Scandinavia:
North America is dominated by figure skating:
Asia is a mixed bag:
South America is ruled by figure skating:
Africa likes their figure skating too:
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.