- Foursquare analysed retailers categorized as department stores and clothing stores to determine the most visited clothing store in every state.
- Big box stores that also sell clothing, such as Target and Walmart, weren’t included.
- Kohl’s appeared most frequently on the list in 22 states.
Online shopping has made it easier than ever to buy clothes without leaving your house. But Americans still frequent actual clothing stores complete with mannequins, dressing rooms, and checkout counters.
The location tech platform Foursquare put together a list of the most visited department and clothing store chains in each US state based on its own visit data.
Foursquare provided the following statement about their methodology:
Foursquare defined popularity of clothing stores by analysing retailers categorized as Department Stores and Clothing Stores and ranked by total number of visits by state in 2018. Big box retailers who sell clothes, such as Target and Walmart Supercenters, were not included as part of this definition. Foursquare data is normalized, pseudonymized, and analysed in the aggregate against US census data to remove any age, gender, or geographical bias. To collect data, we require user consent within our own apps and partner apps.
Here is the most visited clothing store in every state, according to Foursquare.
Arizona: Ross Dress for Less
Arkansas: TJ Maxx
District of Columbia: H&M
Florida: Ross Dress for Less
Georgia: TJ Maxx
Hawaii: Ross Dress for Less
Idaho: TJ Maxx
Indiana: TJ Maxx
Maine: LL Bean
Massachusetts: TJ Maxx
Montana: TJ Maxx
Nevada: Ross Dress For Less
New Hampshire: TJ Maxx
New Jersey: Kohl’s
New Mexico: Dillard’s
New York: Macy’s
North Carolina: Belk
North Dakota: JCPenney
Oregon: Ross Dress For Less
Rhode Island: Marshalls
South Carolina: Belk
South Dakota: Kohl’s
Texas: Ross Dress For Less
Utah: TJ Maxx
Vermont: TJ Maxx
West Virginia: Kohl’s
- Read more:
- Here are the oldest US retailers still in business today
- Gap’s decision to spin-off Old Navy could cause a wave of retailers following suit
- I went lingerie shopping at Victoria’s Secret and Aerie to see which store is better – and the winner is clear
- The origins of 12 of your favourite stores’ names
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.