- INSIDER Data used Google Trends to find the most popular chip brand in every state.
- Turns out America loves Doritos and Cheetos the most.
- Almost all of the United States prefers Doritos, except for five states in the Southwest.
Whether you’re a fan of Pringles, Lays, Ruffles, or Doritos, you probably can’t eat just one.
But not every part of the country loves the same brand of chips. According to retail analyst IRI, Lays, Ruffles, Pringles, Wavy Lays, Tostitos, and Doritos have been the most popular brands of chips in the US. Using Google Trends, INSIDER Data compared the brands to see which among those were most searched from 2004 to today and where in the US people looked for them.
We learned there are two brands Americans look for the most: Doritos and Cheetos. Take a look at which state craves which.
A whopping 45 states chose Doritos as the most desired brand of chips. Strangely, the five states that chose Cheetos as their top brand are all located in the Southwest.
In most states, the difference between the most popular brand and the runner up is striking. However, in states like Hawaii, Washington, and Colorado, it’s almost evenly split. For example, 45% of people are interested in Doritos in Hawaii, while just 43% prefer Cheetos.
Either way, it’s clear that this is Doritos Nation.
- Read more:
- 12 things you didn’t know about Lay’s potato chips
- 12 popular potato chips around the world
- I tried 11 of the most unique potato chip flavours in Taiwan, including ‘Classic Ham’ and ‘Salted Egg’
- The most popular candy bar in every state
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.