- Amazon has signed a lease for a new 335,000-square-foot office in Hudson Yards which, according to a report by real-estate agency PropertyShark, is the most expensive neighbourhood in NYC as of Q3.
- News of the new office comes after Amazon pulled out of its HQ2 plans in Long Island City back in February.
- The new office will employ over 1,500 people and is scheduled to open in 2021.
- Hudson Yards, a multibillion-dollar neighbourhood, has a median sale price of nearly $US5 million. It has stolen the title of most expensive neighbourhood from Tribeca for the first time in seven quarters.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Hudson Yards hit a median sale price of nearly $US5 million on Q3
A report by real-estate agency PropertyShark shows that in Q3, the median sale price in Hudson Yards hit $US4.94 million, making it the most expensive neighbourhood in New York City. The new $US25 billion neighbourhood kicked Tribeca out of the No. 1 spot for the first time in seven quarters.
Tribeca – which saw 72 transactions in the same time period – fell to the second spot with a median sale price of $US2.4 million. According to PropertyShark, that number represents a decline of nearly 45% quarter-over-quarter and 30% year-over-year.
But Tribeca wasn’t the only area that saw a decline in its median sale price. In fact, for Manhattan as a whole, the median sale price fell below $US1 million for the first time in nearly three years to $US999,000. This decline came after the borough hit an all-time high in Q2 with a median sale price of $US1,340,362.
To gather the data, PropertyShark looked at the sales of family homes, condos, and co-ops in each neighbourhood.
Hudson Yards leads by the millions
With a total of 26 transactions, Hudson Yards hit a median sale price that was nearly four times as high as New York City’s tenth-most expensive neighbourhood in Q3: Carroll Gardens which hit a median sale price of just $US1.43 million and saw a total of 29 transactions.
The number of total transactions varies by neighbourhood. In Hudson Yards, prices of current homes on the market range from $US2.6 million to $US59 million. Though the neighbourhood saw only 26 transactions in Q3, transaction prices were substantially higher than those in neighbourhoods that saw high transaction volumes but lower median sale prices. The Lower East Side, for comparison, saw 119 transactions but only had a median sale price of $US1.49 million.
Hudson Yards opened to the public in March of 2019. The $US25 billion project is the most expensive real estate development in US history.
The neighbourhood features shops, restaurants, offices, private residences, an open public square, and gardens. The first residential tower to open on the site was 15 Hudson Yards, which is known for its expensive price tags and 40,000 square feet worth of amenities.
- Amazon is opening an office in NYC’s Hudson Yards. Here’s a look inside the $US25 billion development that that was financed with money meant for ‘distressed’ urban areas.
- Hudson Yards is now NYC’s most expensive neighbourhood. I toured the first residential building to open in the $US25 billion neighbourhood – and it was clear it’s selling much more than just real estate.
- Hudson Yards, NYC’s $US25 billion neighbourhood, was financed with more than $US1 billion that was meant for ‘distressed’ urban areas. Here’s a look inside the glitzy development