- Using data from the Census Bureau, we found the town in each state with the highest median household income.
- There’s a large amount of overlap between income and educational attainment.
Incomes vary widely across the United States.
The American Community Survey is an annual survey run by the Census Bureau to allow the government, corporate and academic researchers, and anyone who is curious about demographics to better understand the US population. Among many other subjects, the ACS includes questions about respondents’ total household incomes.
Using the ACS estimates from 2013 to 2017 for places with at least a 1,000-person population, Business Insider made a map showing the town in each state with the highest median household income.
The Census Bureau top-codes median household incomes, which means that for places where that median is above $US250,000 per year, they do not give a precise estimate in order to protect the privacy of survey respondents. In four states – California, New York, Maryland, and Texas – there were multiple places with populations over 1,000 that fell into the over $US250,000 bracket. To break the tie, we chose the town in the over-$US250,000 median income bracket with the highest average household income.
There is a large overlap between towns with high incomes and high educational attainment. In 19 states, the most affluent town was also the town with the highest educational attainment as defined by share of the over-25 population with at least a bachelor’s degree, according to our recent analysis.
- Read more about demographics and economics in the US:
- The minimum wage is set to increase in 21 states and DC in 2019 – here’s what it will be in every state
- The most and least expensive places to live in America
- The most disproportionately high-paying job in every state
- Here’s how many people in each state were born outside the US