- On Tuesday, a woman named April Castillo styled her daughter Atlantis’ hair to look like Ariel from “The Little Mermaid” for a “Crazy Hair Day” event at her school.
- The hairstyle featured a green braid designed to look like the mermaid’s fin, and an Ariel doll attached on top.
- Castillo’s older daughter, Ariel Romero, tweeted photos of the look, which quickly went viral, and garnered thousands of likes, retweets, and comments.
- Speaking to INSIDER, Romero said that her sister, Atlantis, 4, won “Crazy Hair Day,” but is too young to understand that her photos went viral.
- Romero also said her entire family contributed to the hairstyle, as her dad created the doll’s seashell bra using tape.
In some American schools, “Crazy Hair Day” is a popular event that allows students to wear a fun hairstyle to class. Recently, one mother made sure that her daughter’s hair would stand out from the rest.
On Tuesday, Ariel Romero took to Twitter to share photos of her sister’s “Crazy Hair Day” style, created by the girls’ mother, April Castillo, and inspired by Disney’s 1989 film, “The Little Mermaid.” The hairstyle featured a green braid designed to look like the mermaid’s fin, and an Ariel doll attached on top.
In her tweet, Romero, 19, said that her mum “was not playing games” and “really wanted” her younger daughter, Atlantis, 4, to win.
my sister had crazy hair day at school today and my mom was not playing games and really wanted her to win ???? pic.twitter.com/owo78whIWI
— Ariel (@aireuhl_) March 19, 2019
The tweet quickly went viral, garnering more than 703,000 favourites and 127,000 retweets at the time of this post.
Many Twitter users said they loved the style, and praised the child’s mother for creating such a unique idea.
Omg you’re parents are dope
— BLAZY (@blazyqk) March 19, 2019
Being a huge mermaid lover this hits me right in the soul. She did an amazing job!
— Paige????????◟̽◞̽ TPWK (@paigedamermaid) March 21, 2019
Incredible! Deserved to win! ????♀️ ????
— Joyce Tang (@j0yz) March 21, 2019
Another person even created a pun inspired by the hairstyle, calling it a “little merbraid.”
Speaking to INSIDER, Romero said that her mum was inspired by other hairstyles she’d seen, but decided to put her own twist on the look.
“My mum had seen ideas, but all had used a paper doll,” Romero told INSIDER. “My mum decided to go the extra mile and [include the doll] since my sister has so many.”
Her hard work definitely paid off. According to Romero, her sister won her class contest “due to the fact she had the most attention and creative hairstyle.” However, according to her sister, Atlantis still hasn’t fully grasped the fact that her photos have gone viral.
“We tried to explain to her, but she just asked ‘Why?'” Romero said.
Romero also said that her mother wasn’t the only family member to contribute to the mermaid-inspired look.
“What no one has noticed is that the bra Ariel is wearing is homemade,” Romero said. “My dad made it out of tape. The doll was topless, but my mum couldn’t let my sister go to school with a topless doll. Everyone was part of this hairstyle!”
But the family’s love for mermaids didn’t begin with “Crazy Hair Day.” According to a tweet from Romero, her parents named their daughters after the mythical creatures, and have continued to be inspired by mermaids ever since.
- https://twitter.com/aireuhl_/status/1108101473999773698?ref_src=twsrc^tfw Read more:
- Disney is selling a whimsical pool float that looks exactly like the magic carpet from ‘Aladdin’
- 24 photos of old Disney World attractions we wish would come back
- A professional mermaid spends $US3,200 on her extravagant tail – here’s what else it takes to transform herself into a fantastical creature
- Meet the 27-year-old from London who’s a real-life mermaid
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.