- Miss Universe Singapore 2018 winner Zahra Khanum will wear a dress honouring the US-North Korea summit at this year’s pageant.
- The dress shows two arms shaking hands, representing President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un.
- The designer of the dress Moe Kasim said the dress represented a theme of “World Peace,” but people on social media were confused.
Miss Universe Singapore 2018 winner Zahra Khanum has revealed the gown shelll be wearing for the upcoming pageant next month – and it’s an ode to President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un.
In video released by The New Paper, Khanum revealed that her dress opens wide to show the skyline of Singapore with an image of two people shaking hands above it, with one arm wearing the North Korean Flag and the other wearing an American flag.
The bodice features a nude material attached to white dove wings.
While the designer of the dress Moe Kasim said the dress represented a theme of “World Peace,” many people were confused by the dress.
— Jeyup S Kwaak (@kwaakreports) November 29, 2018
— JH (@ipoop_rainbows) November 29, 2018
What has this dress to do with SG, why we promoting for North Korea? Better to have LKY face printed on the dress! Designer of Miss Universe Singapore’s controversial Trump-Kim costume defends dress https://t.co/qcdPGotbNs via @ChannelNewsAsia
— LGC (@LesChander1) November 30, 2018
Singaporeans: Our country has deep-rooted cultures we can be proud of, and not a soulless colorless city-state.
— Lim Wei Jiet (@limweijiet) November 29, 2018
This Trump-Kim summit inspired Miss Universe Singapore national costume really is quite something pic.twitter.com/PhmYERn7Ac
— Peter Hoskins (@PeterHoskinsTV) November 29, 2018
The Singapore dress for Miss Universe looks like we stole it off the wall of a taco restaurant that gives you diarrhoea.
— Sam See (@MrSamSee) November 29, 2018
Miss Singapore Universe’s costume looks so uninspired. It’s embarrassing. Who came up with that design? Why are we still milking the Trump-Kim Summit which achieved NOTHING?
— Mezame | Singapore (@theartofmezame) November 29, 2018
Khanum, however, told The New Paper that the dress had a “very serene and calming effect.”
The dress is a nod to the US-North Korea summit, where Trump and Kim met in Singapore last year, and Khanum said the dress absolutely embodies “the essence of world peace.”
“My first impression of the costume was that it looked absolutely angelic and it truly did embody the essence of world peace,” she said. “It definitely represents something we all need, which is to promote a sense of unity and friendship, rather than hatred and anger.”
Trump owned the Miss Universe contest between 1996 and 2015.
This year’s contest takes place in Bangkok, Thailand, on December 17.
- Read more about the US-North Korea relations:
- Trump’s weak North Korea summit may be the beginning of the end for the US as the world’s leader
- Why the North Korea summit mattered even if it was ‘mostly a photo op’
- North Korea says it has ‘successfully’ tested a new ‘high-tech tactical weapon’
- North Korea to deport US citizen it says the CIA manipulated as it claims new ‘high-tech tactical weapon’
NOW WATCH: Briefing videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.