Dubai has been one of the most exciting and volatile economic stories of the 21st century.
It’s global, glitzy, and growing like crazy.
Still, the tiny economy has developed into a world city that is a business and cultural focal point in the Middle East, and it has the attention of the world.
Tourism and real estate drive the economy, and there seems to be a never-ending development of innovative and over-the-top projects.
Dubai's police force spends more on each of their super cars than it costs to send a kid to college.
Dubai's police force uses super cars in order to impress tourists, and show how 'classy' the city is. Including cars like the Ferrari FF ($500,000) and Lamborghini Aventador ($397,000). They even have one Aston Martin One-77 ($1.79 million).
NYU, the most expensive college in the U.S., costs $US247,908 for four years.
It is estimated that '10 to 15 per cent of Dubai's population' are Emiratis, while the other 85% are expatriates. The majority come from India, Pakistan, and Bangladesh in order to work in the still-booming real estate market.
They do find jobs, but human rights groups and trade unions call 'for urgent reforms' because they live in 'substandard conditions', and are 'deported for striking over pay and conditions'.
Camel racing is an industry that is estimated to be worth 'hundreds of millions of dollars', although there is no exact number. Because children are small enough to be camel jockeys, the sport led to a boom in child trafficking from 'impoverish(ed) communities in South Asia and Africa' in the past.
Robots from $US300 to $US10,000 are now used in order to curtail the problem of child trafficking.
Source: The Daily Beast
The Burj Khalifa is so tall that some of its residents need to wait longer to break fast during Ramadan.
Forty per cent of physical gold traded in 2013 occurred in Dubai. All together, it weighed more than 354 elephants.
Dubai is planning to build a climate controlled 'city', which is slated to be 4.45 km2 with air-conditioned boardwalks connecting the various sections of the vacation spot together. Monaco has an area of 2.02 km2.
Source: Yahoo News
Thirty-nine per cent of the famous Burj Al Arab hotel is uninhabitable and completely 'wasted' space.
The Burj Al Arab, considered to be a '7-Star Hotel', is the fourth tallest hotel in the world. However, 39% of the hotel is uninhabitable -- which just shows that there is a lesser emphasis fitting as many people into a building as possible, and more of an emphasis on architectural vanity sizing.
What's more, the Royal Suite of Burj Al Arab costs approximately $US20,000 per night. With that money, you could buy 10 15-inch MacBook Pro's.
Dubai produces between 50,000 to 70,000 barrels of oil per day, which is roughly 11,000 m3. This is enough to fill 4.4 Olympic swimming pools.
And that's not even that much. During its heyday in 1991, Dubai produced 400,000 barrels per day.
Dubai is building an entertainment complex. The cost is 150,000 times the Susan G. Komen foundation's revenue in 2012.
NOW WATCH: Money & Markets videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.