Photo: Wikimedia Commons
Today would be Nobel Prize winning economist Milton Friedman’s 100th birthday.To celebrate what would have been a century of Milton Friedman, here are some of Friedman’s best quotes.
- If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there’d be a shortage of sand. – Think Exist
- The Great Depression, like most other periods of severe unemployment, was produced by government mismanagement rather than by any inherent instability of the private economy. – Capitalism and Freedom
- Governments never learn. Only people learn. – Think Exist
- There is no such thing as a free lunch. – Book Title
- I am in favour of cutting taxes under any circumstance and for any excuse, for any reason, whenever it’s possible. – Interview With John Hawkins regarding Bush Tax Cuts
- When everybody owns something, nobody owns it, and nobody has a direct interest in maintaining or improving its condition. That is why buildings in the Soviet Union — like public housing in the United states — look decrepit within a year or two of their construction. – Free to Choose: A Personal Statement.
- One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results. – Interview With Richard Heffner
- Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. – Good Reads
- I’m in favour of legalizing drugs. According to my values, if people want to kill themselves, they have every right to do so. Most of the harm that comes from drugs is because they are illegal. – Interview With Randy Paige
Here’s one of his most memorable interviews ever: