- Miles Teller poured cold water over the hype surrounding a potential UFC cage fight between Tom Cruise and Justin Bieber.
- On “Jimmy Kimmel Live” on Wednesday, Teller – who stars along Cruise in the new “Top Gun” reboot – said he was with the veteran actor when Bieber issued his UFC challenge on Twitter.
- He told Kimmel that Bieber’s tweet didn’t really register “on Tom’s radar.”
- He added: “How much attention do you need, man?”
- Tellers comments came just hours after UFC boss Dana White told TMZ that he’d been approached by Cruise’s people who wanted to make the fight happen.
- Visit INSIDER’s homepage for more stories.
In a Wednesday night appearance on “Jimmy Kimmel Live,” Miles Teller shut down any remaining speculation that Justin Bieber would fight Tom Cruise in a UFC cage bout.
The rumours began on June 10 when Bieber tweeted saying: “I wanna challenge Tom Cruise to fight in the octagon. Tom if you dont [sic] take this fight your [sic] scared and you will never live it down.” The singer even tagged UFC boss Dana White.
Bieber later backtracked, telling TMZ that he was “just playing,” it “was just a random tweet,” and that he’d need to “get in shape” because Cruise has “dad strength.”
“And I told them, I’ll tell you this: If that’s true, and if everybody involved in this thing really wants to do it, we can talk,” White said.
“I’d be an idiot not to make this fight, OK,” he added. “I didn’t think Floyd-Conor was going to happen. Anything is possible. That would be the easiest fight to ever promote in the history of my career.”
Teller clearly doesn’t place much stock in the UFC boss’ sources, though.
Teller, who is starring alongside Cruise in the “Top Gun” reboot “Top Gun: Maverick” – slated for release on June 26, 2020 – said that he was with the “Mission: Impossible” star when Bieber issued his challenge.
“I don’t know if it was on Tom’s radar or not,” Teller told Kimmel in a suggestive tone which caused the audience to laugh.
The actor even went on to accuse Bieber of attention seeking.
“I’m not going to say too much about it but I’m just like, how much attention do you need, man?” he added.
With all the hype surrounding Bieber’s first provocation, it wouldn’t be surprising if the singer now challenged Teller to get in the cage with him, though, he at least can’t accuse him of having “dad strength” just yet.
Watch Teller on Kimmel below:
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.