Microsoft today opened up a preview of its new Office 15 app store. We’ve already spotted a handful of interesting apps in there.This store will house all the add-ons for Microsoft’s next version of Office, now officially named Office 2013. Microsoft isn’t formally saying when Office 2013 will be available, but it is expected to be included witth Windows RT, the version of Microsoft’s operating system that runs on devices with ARM chips inside.
The most notable Windows RT device, Microsoft’s Surface tablet, will be here October 26.
It’s not a very big store yet, with about 25 apps in there now and another 10 promised. No doubt that will change.
Here are the must-haves, and what they do:
- LinkedIn for Outlook shows LinkedIn profile information for your contacts.
- Britannica Researcher gives you access to 80,000 Encyclopedia Britannica articles from within a Word 2013 document.
- A Groupon app scans all those Groupon emails piled up in your inbox and gives you a countdown on how much time is left to purchase, maps them in Bing, and shows how many other people have bought them.
- Pingar Summaries that scans your Word document and writes a summary of it for you.
- Yesware for Outlook that gives you social media information about the people who have emailed you such as their recent tweets and Klout score.
One app stands out because its missing: Yammer. No Yammer add-on has been added to the beta store.
Here’s the full list of apps in the Office store now.