- Michelle Obama is cancelling two book tour dates to attend President George H.W. Bush‘s funeral.
- The former first lady tweeted Monday that she was cancelling stops in Paris and Berlin scheduled for December 5 and 6, respectively.
- A Washington, D.C. memorial service will be held for Bush on Wednesday, before he is interred at the George H.W. Bush Presidential Library in Texas on Thursday.
Michelle Obama is taking time off her busy book tour to show her support for the Bush family.
On Monday, the former first lady tweeted that she would be cancelling planned stops in Paris and Berlin on December 5 and 6 to attend the funeral of President George H.W. Bush.
It’s important to me to join the Bush family in celebrating President George H.W. Bush’s exemplary life. This will unfortunately preclude my visits to Paris and Berlin. I’ve been deeply touched by the enthusiasm for my memoir, and I’m working to reschedule my trip for next year.
— Michelle Obama (@MichelleObama) December 2, 2018
“It’s important to me to join the Bush family in celebrating President George H.W. Bush’s exemplary life,” Obama tweeted Sunday morning. “This will unfortunately preclude my visits to Paris and Berlin. I’ve been deeply touched by the enthusiasm for my memoir, and I’m working to reschedule my trip for next year.”
She continued: “I hope readers and ticket holders will understand my decision regarding my desire to attend President Bush’s funeral, and join me in paying tribute to him and his tremendous contributions to our world.”
Whenever a president dies, all current and living presidents typically attend the funeral, as well as their partners.
As a public servant, father, and grandfather, President George H.W. Bush was an extraordinary example for us all. His spirit of service and decency will be missed by many, including our family. I hope his memory will be a guiding light for our country and those around the world. pic.twitter.com/jUSU82TnO1
— Michelle Obama (@MichelleObama) December 1, 2018
A Washington, D.C. memorial service will be held in Bush’s honour on Wednesday, and President Donald Trump is expected to be in attendance.
On Thursday, Bush’s body will be interred at the George H.W. Bush Presidential Library in College Station, Texas, next to his wife and daughter.
Obama will continue on with her book tour next week, starting with an appearance in Detroit, Michigan on December 11.
- Read more about George H.W. Bush’s life and funeral:
- George H.W. Bush’s simple but profound life advice in 23 words
- George H.W. Bush, famous for his quirky socks, will be buried in a pair that commemorate his World War II service
- George W. Bush reveals the ‘profound’ moment he shared with his father when he entered the Oval Office for the first time as president
NOW WATCH: Briefing videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.