- Michael Cohen was sentenced to three years in prison Wednesday after pleading guilty to numerous crimes he committed while employed by President Donald Trump.
- The sentencing led people to bring up a now-deleted tweet where he said Hillary Clinton would go to prison.
- People are making fun of him for it.
Michael Cohen, President Donald Trump’s former longtime personal lawyer and fixer, was sentenced to three years in prison Wednesday – and he’s being widely mocked for it.
Cohen committed the crimes while being employed by Trump. They include lying to Congress about Trump’s plans to develop a hotel in Russia, making illegal hush money payments on the president’s behalf, and breaking a number of financial laws.
Cohen’s sentencing led Vox journalist Aaron Rupar to dig up a now-deleted tweet he made almost exactly three years ago today. Tagging then-presidential candidate Hillary Clinton, he wrote, “when you go to prison for defrauding America and perjury, your room and board will be free!”
This tweet may have aged more poorly than any tweet in human history pic.twitter.com/dojbUoVWpz
— Aaron Rupar (@atrupar) December 12, 2018
Cohen himself will now go to prison for perjury, among other crimes.
His critics are loving the irony
Another member of the “lock her up” club ends up locked up. https://t.co/B6cQuMhZm5
— Molly Jong-Fast???? (@MollyJongFast) December 12, 2018
— Kathy Griffin (@kathygriffin) December 12, 2018
Nope, aged perfectly… karma is sweet and so is this tweet.
— Janebrarian (@JanieH) December 12, 2018
Theres a tweet for everything these days. https://t.co/uDCsx1ReAO
— TeamPurpleMN (@TeamPurple_MN) December 12, 2018
Karma has no deadline
— marcia ann (@marcia59028523) December 12, 2018
Cohen’s attorneys asked US District Judge William H. Pauley III for no prison time, citing Cohen’s cooperation with state and federal investigations surrounding Trump. The judge ultimately hewed close to the recommendation from Southern District of New York prosecutors, who recommended 3.5 years in prison and steep fines.
- Read more:
- Trump has been implicated in several federal crimes, but here’s why experts say he hasn’t faced legal consequences
- Michael Cohen says he felt it was his ‘duty’ to ‘cover up’ Trump’s ‘dirty deeds,’ is sentenced to 3 years in prison
- Everything Michael Cohen told Mueller about the Trump campaign’s contacts with Russia, according to the memo that could land Cohen a ‘substantial’ prison sentence
- For more stories, head to INSIDER’s homepage.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.