- Benedict Cumberbatch appeared on ABC’s “Good Morning America” on Wednesday and said that his Met Gala outfit included a nod to his role as Dr. Stephen Strange in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
- He personally picked out a green pendant, which is a reference to the green time stone his character protects in the MCU.
- “I had the luxury of choosing a couple of things to just finish it off as a brooch detail,” he said. “I saw that and I thought, ‘That’s a nice little nod to the green time stone, so that’s the one for me.”
- Visit INSIDER’s homepage for more stories.
During an appearance on ABC’s “Good Morning America” on Wednesday, the 42-year-old actor, who portrays Dr. Stephen Strange/Doctor Strange in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, spoke about his experience at the fashion event.
While at the Met Gala with wife Sophie Hunter, Cumberbatch wore a white outfit. He accessorized with a pop of colour thanks to a green pendant that he personally selected.
“I had the luxury of choosing a couple of things to just finish it off as a brooch detail,” he said on “GMA.” “I saw that and I thought, ‘That’s a nice little nod to the green time stone, so that’s the one for me.”
Fans first caught a glimpse of the green stone, which Cumberbatch’s character stores in the Eye of Agamotto, in his 2016 standalone movie. As the name implies, it allows for the manipulation of time, but also space. It became central to the MCU because it’s one of six Infinity Stones that Thanos hunts for.
In “Avengers: Infinity War,” Doctor Strange wore the time stone around his neck to prevent the Titan from acquiring it. But after going forward in time to see alternative futures, he surrendered the stone to Thanos because it was the only way for the superheroes to win.
Watch the “GMA video below (Cumberbatch talks about the Met Gala at 1:00).
- Read more about the 2019 Met Gala:
- Here’s what all your favourite celebrities wore to the 2019 Met Gala
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.