- Meghan Markle’s father, Thomas Markle, will walk her down the aisle at the royal wedding, Kensington Palace announced on Friday.
- He will attend the ceremony on May 19 alongside Meghan’s mother, Doria Ragland.
- Both of Markle’s parents will meet Queen Elizabeth, Prince William, Kate Middleton, and other royals before the ceremony.
- The news comes after Markle’s half brother, who isn’t invited, urged Prince Harry to cancel the wedding and called her a “jaded, shallow, conceited woman.”
Meghan Markle’s dad has been invited to the royal wedding on May 19 and will walk her down the aisle.
Kensington Palace announced on Friday that her father, Thomas Markle, and mother, Doria Ragland, will both come to Windsor Castle and take part in the ceremony.
But the announcement comes under a shadow, as Markle’s half brother has attacked his sister’s character in the media and warned Prince Harry not to go through with the wedding.
Both of Markle’s parents will come to Britain several days before the wedding and meet Queen Elizabeth, Prince Charles, Prince William, Kate Middleton, and other royals in private ahead of the ceremony.
In a statement posted online, Kensington Palace’s press secretary posted details of Markle’s parents’ roles in the ceremony and said the future royal was “delighted” that they are coming:
“Both of the bride’s parents will have important roles in the wedding. On the morning of the wedding, Ms. Ragland will travel with Ms. Markle by car to Windsor Castle.
“Mr. Markle will walk his daughter down the aisle of St George’s Chapel. Ms. Markle is delighted to have her parents by her side on this important and happy occasion.”
Whether Markle’s dad would be a part of the ceremony has been a subject of intense media speculation in the run-up to the wedding.
Thomas Markle, a former lighting director who is separated from Ragland, lives just south of the US-Mexico border and has been described by his family as a “recluse.”
Last December, the Daily Mirror tracked Markle down near his home in Rosarito Beach. He told the British tabloid he was “delighted” about his daughter’s engagement but couldn’t talk about it.
He added that he’d “love to” walk her down the aisle but didn’t comment on whether it would happen.
Other members of the Markle family have been far less enthusiastic about the wedding.
Thomas Markle Jr., Meghan’s 51-year-old half brother, wrote a letter to Prince Harry imploring him to ditch Meghan, whom he called a “jaded, shallow, conceited woman.”
He shared the letter with the gossip magazine In Touch Weekly, which published it this week.
Last month, he told the Mirror that he and other relatives had not been invited to the ceremony, saying it had “torn my entire family apart.”
Samantha Grant, Meghan’s half sister, has also been vocal about the wedding, though less critical of her sister.
Grant is writing a book about their relationship, which was originally titled “The Diary of Princess Pushy’s Sister” but renamed to “A Tale of Two Sisters.”
The royal wedding takes place in just over two weeks, on May 19.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.