- Meghan Markle’s estranged half-brother blamed the duchess for his homelessness and unemployment.
- Thomas Markle Jr., who has not spoken to Meghan since before her royal wedding in 2018, said that “being associated” with her “nearly destroyed” him.
- “I am homeless and could have been under a bridge with a cardboard sign begging for money, but thankfully my mum has taken me in,” he told the Australian magazine New Idea.
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Meghan Markle’s estranged half-brother said that “being associated” with the duchess “nearly destroyed” him.
In an interview with New Idea published Monday, Thomas Markle Jr., 53, blamed his sister for his inability to find a job.
The Australian magazine described him as saying he had lost jobs and now “can’t get a new one because of the notoriety of being related to the duchess.”
He told New Idea that he was considering changing his surname to escape the Markle “curse.”
“I am homeless and could have been under a bridge with a cardboard sign begging for money, but thankfully my mum has taken me in,” he said.
He added that “Meghan could have helped me or got someone else at the palace to do so.”
It’s worth noting there could be other factors involved other than his association with his sister.
Markle Jr. was arrested in Oregon in January 2019 on suspicion of driving under the influence of alcohol, the Daily Mail reported. A police log obtained by the Mail said he was “visibly intoxicated” when he was pulled over.
He was also arrested in 2017, accused of holding a gun to a woman’s head during a drunken argument, The Sun reported.
Markle Jr. also spoke to New Idea about Meghan and Prince Harry’s decision to leave their royal duties to pursue private careers.
“With everything going on currently, with them leaving the palace and doing things for money, it makes them hypocrites because we, the family, have all been blamed for making money, and now they’re doing the same thing,” he said. “The only difference is we’re all broke.”
Meghan hasn’t spoken to her father’s side of the family since before her royal wedding in 2018. Though she has never spoken publicly about her relationship with the Markles, this isn’t the first time her brother has criticised her in the press.
“I hope Meghan gets in contact, but my dad needs to prepare himself for it never happening,” Markle Jr. previously said of his father, Thomas Markle Sr., who made a documentary about his estranged daughter that aired in January.
“She did not get in contact after his heart attack,” Markle Jr. added.
He also said he hoped that Meghan’s becoming a mother would “open up her eyes and teach her what family means.”
- Read more:
- Meghan Markle’s estranged brother says ‘she is only in Buckingham Palace with Harry because of her dad,’ who ‘paid for her education and fancy clothes’
- Thomas Markle says he had no idea who Prince Harry was when Meghan first told him they were dating
- Here’s what you should call Meghan now that she doesn’t go by ‘Markle’ or ‘The Duchess of Sussex’
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.