- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle just became husband and wife.
- Earlier this morning Kensington Palace announced their new titles as a married couple.
- Harry and Meghan have become the Duke and Duchess of Sussex.
- They also got extra titles for use in Scotland and Northern Ireland.
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle just became husband and wife. Earlier this morning Kensington Palace announced that their new titles as a married couple would be the Duke and Duchess of Sussex.
The palace announcement read:
“The Queen has today been pleased to confer a Dukedom on Prince Henry of Wales. His titles will be Duke of Sussex, Earl of Dumbarton and Baron Kilkeel.
“Prince Harry thus becomes His Royal Highness The Duke of Sussex, and Ms. Meghan Markle on marriage will become Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Sussex.”
Harry assumed the new title immediately, while Meghan became Duchess as soon as they were married.
As well as becoming a Duke and Duchess, the Queen has given the couple extra titles to use when they are in Scotland and Northern Ireland.
They are the Earl and Countess of Dumbarton in Scotland, and Baron and Lady Kilkeel in Northern Ireland.
William and Kate were also given these lesser-used titles when they wed – they are the Earl and Countess of Strathearn in Scotland and Baron and Lady Carrickfergus in Ireland.
More on the royal wedding:
- Meghan Markle has broken her silence on her family drama – and says her dad definitely isn’t coming to the wedding
- Commoners invited to Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s wedding are being asked to bring their own food – and people aren’t happy about it
- Meghan Markle’s dad reportedly staged paparazzi photos and there’s a video that basically proves it
- Meet Meghan Markle’s half-sister Samantha Grant, who recently lashed out at Meghan for being ‘unqualified’
- Meet Meghan Markle’s bridesmaids – all of whom are under 10 years old
You can read all of INSIDER’s royal wedding coverage
NOW WATCH: Briefing videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.