- Meghan Markle‘s father, Thomas Markle, will no longer attend the royal wedding, TMZ reported on Monday.
- News broke over the weekend that Thomas Markle had accepted money to pose for staged paparazzi photos in the weeks leading up to his daughter’s wedding to Prince Harry.
- Thomas Markle also told TMZ that he had suffered from a heart attack less than a week ago but had checked himself out of the hospital with plans to attend the wedding.
Thomas Markle, Meghan Markle’s father, is no longer planning to attend his daughter’s wedding to Prince Harry, TMZ reported on Monday.
The change in plans comes after a scandal in which Thomas Markle admitted to accepting money from paparazzi, who took pictures of him supposedly getting ready for the wedding. Photos of Markle intently studying “Images of Great Britain: A Pictorial Tour Through History” in a Starbucks quickly went viral – but were later discovered to have been staged.
In addition, Markle told TMZ that he had suffered from a heart attack six days before, but that he had checked himself out of the hospital to attend the wedding.
Markle told TMZ he decided not to attend the wedding because he didn’t want to embarrass the royal family or his daughter. Markle had been set to give his daughter away at the wedding.
“This is a deeply personal moment for Ms. Markle in the days before her wedding,” a Kensington Palace representative said in a statement to media outlets. “She and Prince Harry ask again for understanding and respect to be extended to Mr. Markle in this difficult situation.”
Previously, Kensington Palace had said both of the brides parents would play “important roles” in the wedding.
“Mr. Markle will walk his daughter down the aisle of St George’s Chapel,” read the official statement in early May. “Ms. Markle is delighted to have her parents by her side on this important and happy occasion.”
Meghan and Thomas Markle’s relationship has had “ups and downs over the years,” according to People magazine. Yet Markle had reportedly been excited to give his daughter away at her wedding to Price Harry.
“From me talking to him, he’s very excited to be a part of it,” Tracey Dooley, Meghan’s former sister-in-law, told “Good Morning Britain” in March.
Read more about the royal wedding:
- Here’s what time Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s royal wedding will start where you live – and how to watch it
- Plans for Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s wedding reception are out – and there are 2 big breaks with royal tradition
- Meghan Markle will get a fancy new title when she marries Prince Harry – but it’s so weird that she’ll never use it
- Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s honeymoon could include a romantic stopover in another African country
- Meghan Markle is reportedly wearing a Ralph & Russo wedding gown – here are their stunning designs
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.