- Thomas Markle is now reportedly not going to the royal wedding, after a series of abrupt changes to his plans.
- TMZ reported that heart surgery will prevent him traveling.
- His plans, and the wedding more broadly, have been in chaos since a deal Markle senior made with paparazzi for photos of him was made public.
Meghan Markle’s father is now no longer due to come to the Royal Wedding, according to reports — the third reversal in just over 24 hours on a question that has thrown the royal family into chaos.
In a third interview with the celebrity gossip site TMZ, Thomas Markle said he would have to miss his daughter’s marriage to Prince Harry because he had unavoidable heart surgery that would stop him traveling.
His latest position followed a paparazzi scandal, in which he embarrassed Meghan and the royals by admitting that he accepted money to stage tabloid photographs in the run-up to the wedding.
He was originally due to walk her down the aisle in the climax of the ceremony at Windsor Castle in England.
Here are the three reversals, and when they happened. All were reported by TMZ, which appears to be the only outlet Markle senior is speaking to:
- 10 a.m. Monday: He said he would not attend the wedding, to avoid embarrassing his daughter and the royals.
- 8 a.m. Tuesday: He said he had changed his mind, and would go to the wedding. He mentioned his heart problems but did not seem to think they’d stop him calling.
- 2 p.m. Tuesday: He changed tack again, and said he would not attend the wedding. Markle said he has urgent heart surgery that will stop him going.
The three reversals took place a total of 28 hours apart. Markle’s heart surgery is reportedly scheduled for Wednesday morning, during which he would have a stent fitted.
Markle senior, a retired Hollywood lighting director, said he suffered a heart attack last week.
TMZ claimed that Meghan has been communicating with her dad via text, to tell him she loves him and is worried about her health.
Provided that Markle senior doesn’t make to the ceremony, there are a number of possible replacements who can walk Meghan down the aisle instead. One is Meghan’s mother Doria Ragland, who was pictured leaving her Los Angeles home for the airport on Tuesday. Prince Charles and Prince William are also possibilities.
Kensington Palace declined to comment on the latest twist when INSIDER called.
Earlier this week a palace spokesman told journalists: “This is a deeply personal moment for Ms. Markle in the days before her wedding. She and Prince Harry ask again for understanding and respect to be extended to Mr. Markle in this difficult situation.”
NOW WATCH: Briefing videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.