- Ahmed Alsanawi has cut the hair of some of the world’s most famous soccer players.
- He was born in Bagdad and lived there until he was 9 years old.
- We visited his barber shop, A Star Barbers, to find out about his rise and get a haircut.
The following is a transcript of the video.
– [Narrator] This barber is behind the haircuts of some of the world’s most famous soccer players. Ahmed Alsanawi has styled everyone from Paul Pogba to Eden Hazard. We went to his shop near London to get a fresh new cut and find out more about him and his rise in the barber game. So how exactly do you become a barber to all these stars?
– It started when I was a young kid, going to the barbershop and just had enough of people messing with my hair, so I took matters into my own hands, literally, and started cutting my own hair. Then it started becoming my brother, my dad, my neighbours and then eventually worked in a shop, built a clientele, and then opened up A Star Barbers in 2013. All right, Huey, can you mix the bleach for me please, mate?
– [Cameraman] How you feeling about this now?
– Regretting, immediate regret, probably that.
– It’s probably about a year and a half ago people started bleaching their hair. I think Messi done it, then Ramsey done it. Obviously Pogba always bleaching his hair, Agüero as well.
– [Man] He went for the silver look.
– Silver look, yeah, silver fox.
– [Narrator] Before opening his new barbershop, Ahmed was cutting hair at the Chelsea training ground every week, but his journey wasn’t always an easy one.
– [Ahmed] I was born in Baghdad, come here when I was 9 years old. So yeah, certain people say I’ve come far, you know? Where I’ve come from and opened up a lot of opportunities, and you’ve gotta grab them. I cut Pogba’s hair, I think it was two years ago. I was cutting Zouma at the time, and he seen my Instagram and sort of give me a shout saying, “Listen, I need you in Manchester,” and then I went there, and that’s when we done the #Equal in his hair because he was doing a campaign for that. And then, yeah, ever since, I’ve been cutting his hair. We’ve done the red and the blond for Pogba around the side, and it started trending, everyone started to do it, and then I think we done like a flame on the side so it looks like his hair was on fire. So that’s one of my favourite haircuts. It’s on FIFA now as well. I do quite a bit of travelling, so probably I travel maybe once a week. I was at the World Cup, had the pleasure to look after the French National Team. Them winning the World Cup was like icing on the cake, and then obviously on Instagram, they’re saying, like, “Dedicate this to A Star, you won the cup too.” That was like, wow, amazing.
– Yo, one dédicace for my brother A Star bro.
– A Star bro!
– A Star, you cut every player on the team, bro! You win the cup also.
– A, A, A, A Star.
– [Ahmed] For the young barbers out there, and I get this quite a lot, you just gotta love what you do. You gotta love it, and when you love it, that’s when you try and aim to be the best that you can be. You can’t be half-hearted at it.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.