Nike’s new “Find your greatness” ad, which features an uninterrupted long take of an overweight 12-year-old running down an endless road in the middle of nowhere, has made a star of Nathan Sorrell, the London, Ohio, boy in the spot.The commercial is from Wieden + Kennedy, and is already a candidate for Business Insider’s 10 Best Ads Of The Year list.
- He’s 12 years old.
- On the set of the shoot, he got to chill out in the “Straight Talk” motor coach formerly used by Sarah Palin during her doomed 2008 vice-presidential campaign.
- He attends London, Ohio, Middle School.
- He’s 5-foot-3 inches tall and weighs 200 pounds.
- He threw up while making the ad. Filming started an hour after he ate lunch. “I got sick in a ditch,” he told the Record Herald.
- He has 266 friends on Facebook.
- He likes Lil Wayne, AC/DC, the Cleveland Cavaliers, Seinfeld and The Hangover.
- He also likes the usual stuff 12-year-old boys like.
- Nike has further plans for Sorrell. He and his mum, Monica, are now trying to lose weight. If they make it, Nike will return to shoot another spot.
- He is not related to the most powerful man in advertising, WPP Group CEO Martin Sorrell.
(Hey Nathan, we’d love to interview you—drop me a line at my email by clicking on my name, above!)
Here’s the ad:
- America Is Falling In Love With The Chubby Kid In This Awesome New Nike Ad
NOW WATCH: Briefing videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.