- No. 13 Marshall took down No. 4 Wichita State in yet another stunning March Madness upset.
- The game was enthralling, but the ending included poor officiating and lengthy replay reviews that ruined the pace of play.
- It was Marshall’s first NCAA Tournament win in school history, earning the Thundering Herd another game on Sunday with a spot in the Sweet 16 on the line.
The No. 13 Marshall Thundering Herd took down No. 4 Wichita State on Friday, earning their first NCAA Tournament win in school history.
The drama started in the final minute, as both teams fought under the basket for rebound and Marshall looking to hold on to a three-point lead.
After the ball went out of bounds, referees awarded possession to Marshall, before conferencing for a lengthy review of the play. A replay appeared to show the ball go off of Marshall’s Jannson Williams pretty clearly, but that’s not what the officials saw.
You can judge the play for yourself below.
This was given to Marshall pic.twitter.com/J6JWTeDkhn
— Kyle Boone (@Kyle__Boone) March 16, 2018
The blown call meant robbing Wichita State a chance to tie the game with under a minute left. Instead, it gave possession back to Marshall to defend their lead. Experts and fans watching the game knew that the Shockers had had an opportunity stolen from them.
Wichita State just got so screwed. The ball was out on Marshall and the replay showed it a dozen times. Wow.
— Jay Williams (@RealJayWilliams) March 16, 2018
Marshall would sink another basket to stretch the lead to five before yet another stoppage took place.
The end of basketball games can be drawn out, but this was unprecedented.
The final minute of Marshall-Wichita State took 18 minutes, 26 seconds— the longest we've ever recorded in the NCAA tournament
— Timothy Burke (@bubbaprog) March 16, 2018
It was a disappointing way to end what was a thrilling game, but Marshall will take the victory all the same. Their first NCAA Tournament win in school history, the Thundering Herd’s takedown of Wichita State earns them a second-round matchup with either West Virginia or Murray State, with a spot in the Sweet 16 on the line.
More March Madness:
- LIVE BRACKET
- GAME SCHEDULE
- Our best bets for the first round of March Madness
- The most common Final Four picks and predictions
- How to watch March Madness online
NOW WATCH: Briefing videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.