Photo: Al Bello/Getty Images
Thursday is jobs day in the U.S., but earnings will remain in focus as giants including Exxon, Sprint, 3M, Starbucks, and Facebook report.Here’s what you need to know.
- South Korea starts the night off with a reading of second quarter GDP at 7:00 p.m. Economists forecast the economy expanded 0.5 per cent sequentially.
- Announcements go quiet until 1:00 a.m. on Thursday morning with Singapore industrial production, which is seen contracting 0.8 per cent in June.
- German consumer confidence follows at 2:00 a.m. Consensus is for no change in the August report, remaining at 5.8.
- Swedish consumer and manufacturing confidence hits at 3:15 a.m. Expectations are for declines in both readings, with consumer sentiment down to 2.5 in July as business confidence drops to -5.
- Swedish unemployment is scheduled for 3:30 a.m., with projections for an 80 basis point jump to 8.9 per cent in June.
- The Philippines’ central bank will announce any changes to its benchmark interest rate at 4 a.m. Economists project no change in the key figure, remaining at 4 per cent.
- Also at 4:00 a.m.: Italian retail sales, which are expected to decline 0.3 per cent sequentially in May.
- Attention shifts to the U.S. at 8:30 a.m. with the durable goods and initial unemployment claims reports. Orders are seen 0.3 per cent higher in June, while jobless claims drop 6,000 to 380,000.
- U.S. pending home sales follow at 10 a.m. Consensus is for a 0.3 per cent sequential increase in June.
- Closing out the day at 11 a.m. is a reading of manufacturing activity from the Kansas City Federal Reserve. The key business conditions index is expected to improve 1 to 4 in July.
Below, the key earnings announcements scheduled for the day.
United Technologies (UTX): $1.42
National Oilwell Varco (NOV): $1.40
Dr Pepper Snapple Group (DPS): $0.82
Boston Scientific (BSX): $0.10
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide (HOT): $0.62
Dunkin’ Brands Group (DNKN): $0.33
Moody’s (MCO): $0.71
Colgate-Palmolive (CL): $1.34
Dow Chemical (DOW): $0.64
L-3 Communications Holdings (LLL): $1.99
Kimberly-Clark (KMB): $1.28
Hershey (HSY): $0.61
Exxon Mobil (XOM): $1.95
Sprint Nextel (S): -$0.41
Raytheon (RTN): $1.23
McGraw-Hill Cos (MHP): $0.76
McKesson Corp (MCK): $1.48
Gilead Sciences (GILD): $0.95
VeriSign (VRSN): $0.45
CA Inc (CA): $0.60
Amazon.com (AMZN): $0.03
Expedia (EXPE): $0.72
Starbucks (SBUX): $0.45
Royal Caribbean Cruises (RCL): $0.03
MetroPCS Communications (PCS): $0.22
Interpublic Group (IPG): $0.21
United Continental Holdings (UAL): $1.70
Steven Madden (SHOO): $0.63
3M (MMM): $1.65
Facebook (FB): $0.11
Consensus estimates provided by Bloomberg. All times are in Eastern Standard Time.