Author and brand Tom Clancy has died.
His passing comes after a long career of writing — and co-writing — books about the U.S. hypothetically going to war with other countries.
The thing is, the foreign policy of the United States in the Clancy-verse is remarkably aggressive, and as a result the U.S. has invaded or gone to war with most of the world. By our calculation, in the Tom Clancy Universe the United States has been at war with no less than 2.6 billion people.
Orange countries are when the U.S. fought the European Federation in the EndWar series. Red countries we fought outright. Light red nations were in a state of war with the U.S. when they were in the Soviet Union.
Here’s a rundown of when we fought who.
- Colombia – Clear and Present Danger
- Vietnam – Without Remorse
- Japan – Debt of Honour, others
- China – SSN: Strategies for Submarine Warfare
- Iran and Iraq – as the combined U.I.R. in Executive Orders
- Afghanistan – The Teeth of the Tiger
- USSR [Too many times to really go into]
- European Federation – EndWar series
This clearly doesn’t go into the video games, so any Clancy fans that want to help out feel free to get in touch.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.