Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s political career has hardly been scandal free but the 78 year-old’s gruelling 18-hour work days have won him respect.The Economic Times points out how Singh manages his day:
- After two heart surgeries Singh is particular about exercise and starts every morning with a walk on the lawns at his New Delhi home.
- He starts work early, at 7 am and often meets officials at breakfast, while catching up on the news.
- He starts his appointments at 9 am and gets briefings from officials on high-priority matters.
- Singh is reported to have a hand’s on management style. He is said to have regular reviews of various sectors himself instead of assigning it to officials in the Prime Minister’s Office. He does not however micromanage his staff.
- He delivers a couple of speeches every week and regularly addresses academic, industry and government bodies.
- He breaks for lunch at 1 pm and resumes work around 2:30 or 3. As part of his health regiment he ensures he eats his meals on time.
- In the afternoon he has a string of meetings with chief ministers and senior officials that last about 15 – 20 minutes each.
- His evenings are usually filled with official engagements and meetings with ministers after cabinet meetings. They’ve also got busier in his second term as protests for an independent state of Telangana have heated up.
- Singh works weekends.
- He is said to be a good boss, respectful of diligent workers and mildly deprecating of inefficient ones. He is also known to write good recommendations for those that work well.
NOW WATCH: Ideas videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.