Mandalay Bay owner MGM has sued the Las Vegas mass-shooting victims, claiming it's not liable for the massacre

David Becker/Getty ImagesBroken windows on the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino after a gunman opened fire on concertgoers below on October 1.
  • MGM Resorts International filed complaints Friday against the victims of the October 1 shooting in Las Vegas.
  • The company said it cannot be held liable for deaths, injuries, or other damages that occurred in the massacre that left 58 people dead, the Las Vegas Review-Journal reported.

The Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino’s corporate owner, MGM Resorts International, has filed a lawsuit against the victims of last year’s mass shooting in Las Vegas, claiming it has no liability for the massacre that left 58 people dead.

MGM Resorts International filed complaints in California and Nevada on Friday arguing that it cannot be held legally responsible for the deaths, injuries, or other damages resulting from the shooting on October 1, the Las Vegas Review-Journal reported.

The company said any claims against MGM parties “must be dismissed,” according to the report.

MGM cited a 2002 federal law that provides protection from liability to companies that use “anti-terrorism” technology that can “help prevent and respond to mass violence,” the Review-Journal reported.

The company argues that the law applies in this case because the security it hired for the Route 91 Harvest festival – whose attendees were targeted by the gunman – was certified by the Department of Homeland Security for “protecting against and responding to acts of mass injury and destruction,” according to the Review-Journal.

Robert Eglet, a Las Vegas lawyer representing several victims, told the newspaper the court filings were a move to get the cases heard in federal court instead of state court. He argued that the lawsuits were a “blatant display of judge shopping” that “quite frankly verges on unethical.”

“I’ve never seen a more outrageous thing, where they sue the victims in an effort to find a judge they like,” Eglet told the Review-Journal. “It’s just really sad that they would stoop to this level.”

An MGM spokeswoman said in a statement to the newspaper: “The Federal Court is an appropriate venue for these cases and provides those affected with the opportunity for a timely resolution. Years of drawn out litigation and hearings are not in the best interest of victims, the community and those still healing.”

The gunman, Stephen Paddock, killed 58 people and injured hundreds more when he opened fire on concertgoers from his hotel room on the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay on October 1.

NOW WATCH: Briefing videos

Business Insider Emails & Alerts

Site highlights each day to your inbox.

Follow Business Insider Australia on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram.