- A Texas man is suing Goop after he says his $75 “This Smells Like My Vagina” candle exploded.
- Another person has claimed their Goop candle exploded, but it’s unclear if they took legal action.
- The listing on Goop’s website warns against burning the candle for more than two hours at a time.
On Monday, Texas resident Colby Watson filed a class-action complaint against Goop after he says his “This Smells Like My Vagina” candle exploded.
According to the court documents reviewed by Insider, Watson said the $75 candle became “engulfed in high flames” after burning for around three hours, and that the room in his home where the candle was located was “filled with smoke.” Watson’s lawyers did not immediately respond to Insider’s request for comment.
While the product listing on Goop’s website warns against burning the candle for longer than two hours at a time, Watson said in the complaint that it was a “limited warning,” and alleged that Goop knew of the candle’s “defective nature.”
In the complaint, Watson said the incident left a “black burn ring” on his nightstand, and that the jar is now charred and black. No injuries were reported in the complaint.
Watson is seeking a jury trial as well as punitive damages for himself and those who have, “through no fault of their own, purchased defective and dangerous vagina-scented candles,” according to the complaint.
“We’re confident this claim is frivolous and an attempt to secure an outsized payout from a press-heavy product,” a Goop spokesperson said in a statement to NBC News. “We stand behind the brands we carry and the safety of the products we sell.”
Representatives for Goop did not immediately respond to Insider’s request for comment.
This is the second time someone has said the vagina-themed candle has ‘exploded’
“I trimmed the wick as instructed and put it on a candle coaster in our front room,” she wrote for The Guardian about the first time she lit the candle. “It smelled really nice.”
But she said the second time she lit the candle, the flames erupted minutes after.
“The candle exploded and emitted huge flames, with bits flying everywhere,” she told The Sun. “I’ve never seen anything like it. The whole thing was ablaze and it was too hot to touch. There was an inferno in the room.”
Thompson’s story went viral and became a meme, as Insider previously reported. It’s unclear whether she pursued legal action, according to NBC. Thompson did not immediately respond to Insider’s request for comment on this story.
Goop’s website describes the scent as “a funny, gorgeous, sexy, and beautifully unexpected” and highlights geranium, citrusy bergamot, cedar absolutes, Damask rose, and ambrette seed.