- A man has been killed by a shark in the Whitsundays.
- It comes after two other people were attacked in the same area in September.
- Emergency services were able to get the man to hospital but he later died.
A man has died after being bitten by a shark while swimming in Cid Harbour in the Whitsundays where two other people were recently attacked.
The 33-year-old had reportedly been swimming off a boat just after 5.30pm on Monday when he was attacked, sustaining significant injuries to his leg and wrist.
RACQ CQ Rescue crewman Ben McCauley said the man’s injuries were “absolutely horrific”.
Queensland emergency services were able to reach the man and fly him to Mackay Base Hospital where he arrived in a critical condition.
However, he later died.
Following those attacks, local authorities conducted a culling of sharks in the area, capturing and killing at least four, including a 3.7 metre tiger shark.
Shark control equipment had been temporarily placed in Cid Harbour following the first two attacks but was removed on September 27 after the potentially dangerous sharks were removed.
At that time, the Queensland Minister for Agricultural Industry Development and Fisheries Mark Furner urged visitors to the area to remain vigilant “and to avoid swimming to reduce the risk of any further shark attacks”.
“The Cid Harbour area is not covered by the Queensland Government’s Shark Control Program, which operates at 85 of Queensland’s most popular beaches,” he said.
“It is not practical to permanently operate shark control equipment at this location as it is too far from the mainland to allow quick deployment, access and servicing, or rapid removal in bad weather.
“However, in this situation we believed that it was essential that we respond quickly and use the expertise and resources of the Program to protect the public.”