- A Louisiana man drowned Thursday during an underwater proposal to his girlfriend.
- Steven Weber and Kenesha Antoine were reportedly on a vacation in Tanzania, staying in a bedroom submerged in the ocean when he swam down from the surface and pressed a note against the glass windows.
- The note asked Antoine to marry him, but she said he never surfaced to hear her answer.
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.
A Louisiana man drowned Thursday while he staged an elaborate underwater proposal to his girlfriend, she said in a heart-wrenching Facebook post.
Steven Weber and Kenesha Antoine were reportedly on a vacation in Tanzania, staying in a bedroom submerged in the ocean when he swam down from the surface and pressed a note against the glass windows.
The note read: “I can’t hold my breath long enough to tell you everything I love about you. BUT…Everything I love about you I love more EVERY DAY!”
Flipped over, the note asked whether Antoine would marry him.
“Will you please be my WIFE… Marry me!!!”
Antoine wrote in a Friday post that Weber never surfaced to hear her answer.
“You never emerged from those depths, so you never got to hear my answer, ‘Yes! Yes! A million times, yes, I will marry you!!'” she wrote. “We never got to embrace and celebrate the beginning of the rest of our lives together, as the best day of our lives turned into the worst, in the cruelest twist of fate imaginable.”
She said Weber was a “bright light” to everyone he met, and was kind, compassionate, and loving. She asked for people to pray for Weber’s loved ones.
The resort the couple were staying at, the Manta Resort, confirmed Weber’s death to CNN.
“Our sincerest condolences, thoughts and prayers are with his girlfriend, families and friends impacted by this tragic accident,” CEO Matthew Saus told the network.
Antoine wrote that she would try to comfort herself with the happiness the couple had experienced in the days before Weber’s death.
“I will try to take solace in the fact that we enjoyed the most amazing bucket list experiences these past few days, and that we both were so happy and absolutely giddy with excitement in our final moments together,” she said.
- Read more:
- A man in Russia staged a fake drug bust with ‘armed’ ex-military personnel to propose to his girlfriend – and it’s part of a rising trend of ‘extreme proposals’
- A man snuck an engagement ring into photos with his girlfriend for an entire month before he actually proposed, and she had no idea
- A deer photobombed a couple’s proposal in a magical moment straight out of a Disney movie
- A travel blogger proposed to his girlfriend at the top of a 7,000 ft. active volcano, and the video is as adorable as it is terrifying
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.