- A 21-year-old man has been charged with sexually assaulting and molesting an 11-year-old girl whom he reportedly met on Tinder.
- Police say the man, Travis McAdams, believed the girl to be 16, as that was what her age was listed as on the app.
- The two met in late 2017 or early 2018 at a movie theatre when he raped her, authorities say.
- According to police, the 11-year-old continued to communicate with and see McAdams because she feared him.
- He is currently being held in jail on a $US200,000 cash bond and a $US500,000 surety bond and has been charged with felony rape and child molesting.
A 21-year-old man from Greendale, Indiana, has been charged with raping and molesting an 11-year-old girl whom he met on Tinder,CBS affiliate WTOL reported.
Dearborn County Prosecuting Attorney Lynn Deddens told the outlet that Travis McAdams first met the girl on the dating app and that McAdams believed that the girl was 16 – the age of consent in Indiana – because she listed her age as such on the app.
After talking on the platform and on Snapchat, McAdams and the girl met in person at the Greendale Cinema in December 2017 or January 2018, according to the probable-cause affidavit, which was reviewed by WTOL.
According to the affidavit, while at the movie theatre, the girl went to the restroom. She told detectives that when she exited the restroom, McAdams wrapped his arm around her neck and covered her mouth then brought her to the back of the building and raped her.
Greendale Police Detective Sgt. Kendle Davis said the girl and McAdams, who police said was at this point aware that the girl was 11, continued to see each other after this.
“She advised me that she was scared of McAdams and that’s why she continued to see him a couple of other occasions after this, because she was afraid of what he might do to her,” Davis said, WTOL reported.
In March, the girl’s mother became aware of the situation and reported it to police, according to the affidavit. Davis said that the McAdams contacted the mother and attempted to dissuade her from contacting the police. Police said McAdams’ arrest was delayed because of the time it took to obtain search warrants.
He is currently being held in the Dearborn County Jail on a $US200,000 cash bond and a $US500,000 surety bond, according to WTOL. He has been charged with felony rape and child molestation – each of which could have a penalty of three to 16 years. His trial date has not yet been set.
Since his arrest, more people have come forward with accusations against McAdams, WTOL reported.
Deddens and a representative for Tinder did not immediately return INSIDER’s request for comment.
If you are a victim of sexual assault, you can visit RAINN or call its hotline at 1-800-656-4673 to receive confidential support from a trained staff member.
Visit INSIDER’s homepage for more.
- Read more:
- A man says a 19-year-old woman hired him to kill her on Craigslist, and alleges he tried to change her mind before shooting her
- A 19-year-old claims that his 55-year-old ex-girlfriend intentionally burned him with a hair straightener
- 3 men have been arrested after 2 Scandinavian backpackers were found dead at a popular hiking spot in Morocco
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.