A year after his arrest, Madoff’s life in prison is quite interesting.
Everyone is obsessed with him – to the point that guards need to keep groups of people from forming around him.
But he seems to have made friends anyway, despite getting preferential treatment for being the king of all con artists.
- “People wanted his signature because they wanted to sell it on eBay”
- Madoff’s fellow inmates cozy up to him hoping he’ll tell them where he hid the money
- “To every con artist, he is the godfather, the don.”
- Guards are told they’ll lose their jobs if they talk to the media about him
- His roomate’s name is Frank
- He wears khaki prison garb
- He has been spotted walking on an outdoor track, plays bocce, chess and checkers
- Lights are turned off at 11 p.m.
- There are gangs
- Cigarettes go for $10 apiece
- Inmates are paid between 12 cents and $1.15 an hour for jobs like a groundskeeper, plumber or kitchen crew