- Lucasfilm’s president, Kathleen Kennedy, has hinted that there won’t be any more “Star Wars” character spin-offs like “Solo.”
- “You can’t turn this into some kind of factory approach,” she told Vanity Fair, adding: “You can’t even do what Marvel does, necessarily, where you pick characters and build new franchises around those characters.”
- Disney CEO Bob Iger promised a “slowdown” on “Star Wars” movies after “Solo” disappointed at the box office last year, failing to even crack $US400 million worldwide.
- After December’s “The Rise of Skywalker,” the next “Star Wars” movie is scheduled to kick off a new trilogy from the “Game of Thrones” showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss in 2022.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
There will be more “Star Wars” movies after December’s “Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker,” but fans shouldn’t expect more character spin-offs like “Solo: A Star Wars Story.”
In a new Vanity Fair preview of “The Rise of Skywalker,” published Wednesday, Lucasfilm’s president, Kathleen Kennedy, hinted that the franchise would focus on event-size entries, rather than the movie-a-year approach Disney has had since 2015.
“I think there is a larger expectation that Disney has,” Kennedy said. “On the other hand, though, I think that Disney is very respectful of what this is, and right from the beginning we talked about the fragility of this form of storytelling. Because it’s something that means so much to fans that you can’t turn this into some kind of factory approach.”
She added: “You can’t even do what Marvel does, necessarily, where you pick characters and build new franchises around those characters. This needs to evolve differently.”
The Disney “Star Wars” era ran into a speed bump last year when “Solo” underperformed at the box office. It failed to hit even $US400 million worldwide, whereas the previous movies – “The Force Awakens” in 2015, “Rogue One” in 2016, and “The Last Jedi” in 2017 – each grossed over $US1 billion.
Disney CEO Bob Iger promised a “slowdown” on “Star Wars” movies following “Solo,” but audiences won’t have to wait too long. The next movie, scheduled to arrive in 2022, is meant to kick off a new trilogy from the “Game of Thrones” showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss that will be separate from the Skywalker Saga, which is set to conclude with “The Rise of Skywalker.” The second and third parts are scheduled to arrive in theatres in 2024 and 2026.
In the meantime, Disney is developing multiple live-action “Star Wars” TV shows for its coming streaming platform, Disney Plus. The first, “The Mandalorian,” is set to debut with the November 12 launch of the service.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.