- The Metropolitan Police released the identities of two of the three London Bridge/Borough Market attackers at 6 p.m. BST (1 p.m. ET).
- Victims are being named.
- 12 people who were arrested in police raids on Sunday in connection to the investigation have been released on no charges
- Victims are being named
- London Bridge station reopened on Monday morning.
- Prime Minister Theresa May delivered a speech on Monday, 11 a.m. BST, saying Britain needs her strong leadership “now more than ever.”
- Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn has called for Theresa May’s resignation over cuts to police she oversaw as Home Secretary.
- ISIS (also known as the Islamic State, ISIL, and Daesh) has claimed responsibility.
- In the attack, a van hit pedestrians in London Bridge at 9:58 p.m. local time on Saturday and then three men leapt out and stabbed a number of people in Borough Market.
- 7 people died and 48 people were injured. 18 of those wounded are critically injured.
- A vigil will be held near London Bridge at 6 p.m. BST to honour those killed.
The Metropolitan Police has released 12 people who were arrested Sunday during police raids as part of an ongoing investigation into the London Bridge and Borough Market terror attacks that killed 7 and left 48 injured.
Authorities also identified two of the three men behind the attacks on Saturday. They are named as Khuram Shazad Butt and Rachid Redouane. The police still need to release the identity of the third attacker.
Butt, 27, (20.4.90), was a British citizen who was born in Pakistan. Redouane, 30 (31.7.86) had claimed to be Moroccan and Libyan. He also used the name Rachid Elkhdar, with a different date of birth of 31.7.91. Inquiries are ongoing to confirm the identity of their accomplice.
The Metropolitan Police knew of the identities of the three men who carried out the attacks which killed seven people and injured 48, saying their names would be released “as soon as operationally possible,” earlier on Monday. Those that are critically injured has fallen from 21, to 18 as of Monday afternoon.
The suspects hired a van and drove into pedestrians on London Bridge at around 10 p.m. local time (BST) on Saturday evening. They then abandoned the van and went on a stabbing spree in Borough Market.
Theresa May delivered a speech on Monday, 11 a.m. BST (6 a.m. ET), saying that Britain needs her strong leadership “now more than ever,” following the London Bridge and Borough Market terror attacks on Saturday.
“Today I want to return to the choice people face in three days time. It’s about which leader and which team people trust to keep Britain safe,” May said.
Meanwhile, ISIS (also known as the Islamic State, ISIL, and Daesh) claimed responsibility for the attacks. According to a statement posted to its “Amaq” propaganda outlet, ISIS said a “detachment” of its fighters had carried out the attacks.
Details emerge about the attackers
An Irish or European Union identity card was found on one, according to Sky. The news channel said he lived in Dublin for a period of time, was from a Moroccan descent, and had a Scottish wife.
Another suspect is said to have appeared in Channel 4 documentary “The Jihadis Next Door,” the Daily Mail said.
He and others were filmed praying in front of an unfurled ISIS flag in Regent’s Park, London. They were later detained by police in connection with the incident.
The man identified in the Channel 4 documentary was also reported to police by his neighbours, according to the BBC. One neighbour said the suspect used to watch clips of the American hate preacher Ahmad Musa Jibril.
Sadiq Khan praises police and emergency services amid Trump criticism
This afternoon, London Mayor Sadiq Khan and Metropolitan Police Commissioner Cressida Dick gave statements at the scene of the attack in Borough Market.
The Mayor said, “When you discover that the victims included not just people who are from London, but people from Australia, New Zealand, Canada, France, Spain, and other parts of the world, you realise what a truly global city London is.”
Khan added he was “angry and furious that these three men are seeking to justify their actions by using the faith that I belong to.”
“Intensely proud of the Metropolitan Police,” The Met Police Commissioner said we saw extraordinary “courage”, “professionalism” and “compassion” from public servants.
In response to a question from a journalist, Dick said “all of us need to look at the overall strategy, tactics and resourcing” available for counter-terrorism.
She added that arming every single police officer was not a “sensible or practical” option.
Shortly after Khan and Dick’s address to the press, US President Donald Trump lambasted the London Mayor for his ‘pathetic’ response to the attacks.
Pathetic excuse by London Mayor Sadiq Khan who had to think fast on his “no reason to be alarmed” statement. MSM is working hard to sell it!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) June 5, 2017
The tweet is the second attack on Khan by the president in two days. Trump tweeted at the weekend that the London mayor had told Londoners “not to be alarmed” by the attack.
However, Khan had actually told Londoners not to be alarmed by the increased police presence on the streets of London. Trump removed this context, leading many of his followers to assume that Khan had suggested that the attack was not worth being alarmed about.
Police conduct multiple raids and arrests
Police conducted multiple raids in East Ham Sunday morning as part of their ongoing investigation into the attacks. Twelve people were arrested in an earlier raid that day on a block of flats in Barking, London.
Of the 12 people arrested, seven are women, aged between 19 to 60. The five men that were arrested were between 28 and 55 years old. A 55-year-old man has since been released without charge on Monday morning.
The remaining 11 are being detained on suspicion of offences under the Terrorism Act, police said. Police can hold them for up to two weeks before they decide whether they should be released or charged.
The East London neighbourhood is home to many Muslims and it is common to see women wearing the burka there.
During the Barking Road raid, police reportedly warned a suspect running across a roof to “get back or we’ll shoot.” Video footage also shows armed officers pointing their weapons towards the roof and shouting, “Stand up, show us your hands” at the suspect.
Police are also searching two other addresses in East London — one in Newham and another in Barking. The Met said it entered properties in Newham and Barking at 4:15 a.m. BST.
Here is another location where police are conducting searches:
BREAKING – Two more raids in east London this morning in connection with London Bridge attack. This property in Dagenham being searched pic.twitter.com/I4Y0JKyDCd
— Mark White (@skymarkwhite) June 5, 2017
Andrew Parker, director general of MI5 released the following statement:
“With the rest of the country we are all appalled by the dreadful terrorist attack in London on Saturday night. Our thoughts are with everyone affected. We are extremely grateful for the numerous messages of support and encouragement from members of the public as we continue, alongside our partners, our unceasing efforts against the terrorist threat.”
The Prime Minister says Britain needs her leadership ‘now more than ever’
Theresa May this morning told national and international media: “The threat of Islamist extremism is the gravest we have ever faced.” She promised that Britain would play a lead role in defeating the “evil” ideology that inspired recent terrorist attacks in London and Manchester.
Speaking from the Royal United Services Institute, where she initially launched her leadership campaign, the prime minister said: “The question of leadership has always been at the heart of this campaign. The ability to get the job done — that’s what leadership means to me.”
Politicians and critics blame May for the attacks
Just moments after May’s speech, Labour Leader Jeremy Corbyn called for the Prime Minister’s resignation over cuts to police she oversaw as Home Secretary.
Corbyn told ITV’s Rachel Younger that he backs calls from “very responsible people” who are “worried” about her record at national security during her time as Home Secretary.
The Labour leader has since clarified his remark, saying he was “articulating what is deep anger amongst those people that have seen 20,000 police officers lose their jobs”.
“I think we should vote on Thursday to decide who our MPs are and decide who our government is going to be.”
Her speech on Sunday night was criticised by left-wing journalists for furthering her general election campaign on a day when the parties had pledged to cease campaigning due to the deaths. Owen Jones told Sky News that “Theresa May broke the agreement on no political campaigning after the atrocity — and now must have her own record scrutinised.”
Some are also blaming May for security failures which, they claim, led to the terrorist attacks in London Bridge, Manchester, and Westminster over the last three months:
Theresa May responsible for security failures of London Bridge, Manchester, Westminster Bridge. Should be resigning not seeking re-election pic.twitter.com/2o0odey2BQ
— steve hilton (@SteveHiltonx) June 5, 2017
Former director of global counter-terrorism at MI6, Richard Barrett, wrote in the Guardian that May’s “enough is enough” policies could make extremist threats worse.
Jeremy Corbyn, the leader of the main opposition Labour, also delivered his own speech Sunday night:
Culture Secretary Karen Bradley added fuel to the fire over police cuts by repeatedly refusing to say whether the government’s cuts to police numbers had made Britain’s streets less safe in an interview on “Good Morning Britain” on Monday.
Here is an excerpt from the interview:
Victims are being named
Chrissy Archibald, a Canadian bride-to-be who volunteered at a homeless shelter, was the first victim to be named.
Her family also released a statement:
James McMullan was the second victim to be named.
McMullan’s sister, Melissa, read out a statement on Sky News, saying the 32-year-old’s bank card was found on a body from Saturday night.
The five other victims are yet to be named. 48 patients were taken to five hospitals and out of those people, 21 are said to be in a critical condition. The Metropolitan Police opened a casualty bureau for those worried about the whereabouts of people they know. The telephone numbers are 0800 096 1233 and 020 7158 0197.
One British Transport Police officer and three Met officers were injured during the attack on Saturday night, according to the police.
A number of posts on social media and from foreign governments have identified some of those affected by the attacks.
Jean-Yves Le Drian, French foreign minister, confirmed that a French man was one of the seven killed in the attack but did not name him. He also said seven French citizens were among the 48 injured.
The Greek embassy in London said a citizen based in the capital was injured in the attack and has been operated on after being knifed in the kidney, according to the Guardian:
“He sustained head injuries and was stabbed in the kidney but has been operated on and is in stable condition, out of danger,” Alexis Georgiadis, a spokesman at the Greek embassy, told the Guardian. “I have just spoken with his father and our ambassador will be visiting him today.”
The Canberra government in Australia named Candice Hedge, from Brisbane, and Andrew Morrison, from Darwin as both wounded and said that there are two more Australian citizens “about whom we have very real concerns.”
The German foreign office also confirmed that at least two German citizens were injured the attack. One of them is said to have sustained serious injuries.
Meanwhile, one of those injured was an unnamed British man was accidentally shot in the head by police opened fire on the attackers.
Londoners will come together on Potters Fields at 6pm tomorrow to remember the victims of Saturday’s terror attack https://t.co/i2HwyTrWAo pic.twitter.com/nCqYvvyHmx
— Sadiq Khan (@SadiqKhan) June 4, 2017
A vigil and one minute’s silence will be held on Monday, June 5, near the scene of Saturday’s terrorist attacks that left seven people dead and at least 48 injured.
The Mayor of London Sadiq Khan invited Londoners and visitors to come together at City Hall. They will gather at Potters Fields Park from 6 p.m. BST (1 p.m. ET), which is less than a mile away from London Bridge and Borough Market where the attacks occurred.
The minute’s silence will begin at 6:20 p.m BST.
This story is developing …
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.