- All three London Bridge attackers named as Youssef Zaghba, Rachid Redouane and Khuram Shazad Butt.
- The Metropolitan Police defend its decision to downgrade its inquiry into one of the men that carried out the London Bridge and Borough Market attacks, according to the BBC.
- The police released all 12 people who were arrested in raids at two addresses in Barking, east London, on Sunday on no charges.
- Police are currently searching another address in Ilford, 10 minutes’ drive away from Barking.
- Mayor of London Sadiq Khan said policing cuts could affect the capital’s ability to prevent future terrorist attacks.
- The Metropolitan Police released the identities of two of the three London Bridge/Borough Market attackers on Monday afternoon.
- Victims are still being named while some people remain missing.
- In the attacks on London Bridge and Borough Market on Saturday night, 7 people died and 48 people were injured. 15 of the wounded are critically injured. 36 are being treated in hospital.
- A minute’s silence took place at 11 a.m. BST on Tuesday.
- Glastonbury Festival has asked ticket holders to “pack light” and be braced for increased security checks.
LONDON — The third and final London Bridge attacker has been named as Youssef Zaghba, a Moroccan-Italian man.
“He was not a police or MI5 subject of interest,” the Metropolitan Police said in a statement.
The other two attackers were Pakistan-born Khuram Shazad Butt and Rachid Redouane.
The Metropolitan Police defended its decision to downgrade its inquiry into one of the men that ended up being part of a group of three people that carried out Saturday’s terrorist attacks in London Bridge and Borough Market.
The BBC reported the Metropolitan Police assistant commissioner Mark Rowley saying that while Butt was known to police and MI5 in 2015, there had been no evidence of a plot:
“There was no intelligence to suggest that this attack was being planned and the investigation had been prioritised accordingly.”
Rowley added that the inquiry was “prioritised in the lower echelons of our investigative work” and said he had seen nothing to suggest that this was a “poor decision” when asked by the BBC’s home affairs correspondent, Danny Shaw.
Foreign secretary Boris Johnson told Sky News that the police and MI5 are likely to have to answer questions about this decision:
“People are going to look at the front pages today and they’re going to say ‘how on earth could we have let this guy or possibly more through the net?
“‘What happened, how could he possibly be on a Channel 4 programme and be committing atrocities like this?’ That is a question that will need to be answered by MI5, by the police, as the investigation goes on.”
Late on Monday, police released without charge all 12 people arrested on Sunday in police raids on two addresses in Barking, East London, in connection with Saturday’s terrorist attacks.
Seven of the arrested were women, aged between 19 to 60, and five were men, aged between 28 and 55-years-old.
Officers started to search an address in Ilford at 1.30 a.m. BST, which is just a 10 minutes’ drive from Barking, on Tuesday morning. The Met says nobody at that location has been arrested. This map shows the location of the raids in relation to central London:
Prime Minister Theresa May signs the book of condolence
A book of condolence for the victims of Saturday’s terror attack in London Bridge and Borough Market is open to the public on Tuesday. It is located at Southwark Council’s headquarters in Tooley Street.
Here is May’s message and signature in the book:
The Labour Party and the Mayor of London blame police cuts for terrorist attacks
On Tuesday morning, Mayor of London Sadiq Khan joined a chorus of voices from the main opposition — Labour — by saying cuts to policing would make it harder to prevent future terrorist attacks. According to Politics Home, Khan said:
“I have ensured that our police service has the resources they need to carry out the investigation into this horrific attack – however, I’m deeply concerned about the impact of the further police cuts that the Conservatives have already outlined.
“Our city has suffered two awful terrorist attacks since I was elected as Mayor — and we must do everything possible to stop there being any more.
“The Conservative plans mean another £400 million of cuts to the Met, as well as between £184m and £700m a year because of their changes to the police funding formula. That would mean London losing thousands of community police officers.”
Khan’s comments closely follow those made by Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn on Monday. Corbyn called for the Prime Minister’s resignation over cuts to police she oversaw as Home Secretary.
Corbyn told ITV’s Rachel Younger that he backs calls from “very responsible people” who are “worried” about her record at national security during her time as Home Secretary. The Labour leader has since clarified his remark, saying he was “articulating what is deep anger amongst those people that have seen 20,000 police officers lose their jobs”.
“I think we should vote on Thursday to decide who our MPs are and decide who our government is going to be.”
Green Party leaders Caroline Lucas and Jonathan Bartley said in an opinion piece for Business Insider:
- The government needs to give more resources to police and place greater focus on community-based programs for preventing radicalisation.
- There is no evidence that May’s plans for increased surveillance and longer detention for suspects will deter terrorists.
- Giving up civil liberties will not deter terrorists.
Former independent reviewer of terrorism, David Anderson, urged the government, in a letter to The Times on Tuesday, to not revive terrorism prevention and investigation measures — known as TPIMs — following the attack.
My letter in The Times today on control orders/TPIMs. See also the contribution of Michael Clarke @RUSI_org (£) https://t.co/kRJw9A9Rin. pic.twitter.com/t8sOhS6qk4
— David Anderson QC (@bricksilk) June 6, 2017
All 3 terrorists named
On Tuesday morning, the third and final terrorist behind the attacks on Saturday was named by Italian media as Youssef Zaghba. The Metropolitan Police has confirmed Zaghba’s identity.
According to Italian newspaper La Repubblica, Zaghba was a 22-year-old Moroccan-Italian.
La Repubblica reports that Zaghba was stopped from flying to Istanbul in March 2016 and his phone was confiscated and found to contain ISIS propaganda. An Italian review court decided there was not enough evidence to charge him.
An Italian official told The Guardian that Italian authorities alerted their British counterparts when Zaghba moved to London.
The other two men behind the attack are named as 27-year-old Khuram Shazad Butt and 30-year-old Rachid Redouane.
The suspects hired a van and drove into pedestrians on London Bridge at around 10 p.m. local time on Saturday evening. They then abandoned the van and went on a stabbing spree in Borough Market.
Butt was 27 years old and reportedly previously worked at fast food restaurant KFC and fashion retailer Topshop. He was the “ringleader” and was known as “Abz,” according to The Sun. He was of Pakistani origin, and had two children, the newspaper said.
He appeared in Channel 4’s 2016 documentary “The Jihadis Next Door,” according to the Daily Mail.
Transport for London confirmed to The Guardian that Butt also worked as trainee customer services assistant for six months last year.
Butt posted a WhatsApp message on his profile just days before the attack quoting the Quran: “ALLAH says (Quran 94:6) – Indeed, with hardship, comes ease.”
New arrest made
On Sunday, 12 people were arrested following a raid in Barking, London, on suspicion of offences under the Terrorism Act. The seven women and five men were released on no charges.
On Tuesday morning, a 27-year-old man was arrested at an address in Barking under the Terrorism Act.
Enquiries are ongoing, the Met Police said in a statement.
Glastonbury Festival tightens security
Glastonbury Festival has warned ticket holders to “pack light” and be braced for increased security checks following the terror attacks in London and Manchester.
In a statement on its website, it said festival goers will be “subject to extra searches of their vehicles, their bags, and their person” as they enter the site.
“As always, we have put in place all necessary measures to maximise public safety, working closely with the authorities. But festival goers can also play their part in keeping Glastonbury safe and secure, so we’d very much appreciate it if you’d read and digest this message,” Glastonbury said.
The festival takes place from June 21 to 25. Headline acts include Radiohead, Foo Fighters, and Ed Sheeran.
Many victims are yet to be named as people are still missing
Seven people were killed during the attacks and a further 48 were injured. 15 of those people are still in a critical condition.
Chrissy Archibald, a Canadian bride-to-be who volunteered at a homeless shelter, was the first victim to be named.
There are still people missing.
On Facebook, the family and friends are appealing for the whereabouts of Brisbane woman Sara Zelenak. She was separated from friends at the scene of the London Bridge terrorism attack.
Another friend on Facebook reportedly said she calls her mother daily, so the lack of contact has worried friends and family further.
The Metropolitan Police opened a casualty bureau for those worried about the whereabouts of people they know. The telephone numbers are 0800 096 1233 and 020 7158 0197.
The Mayor of London wants Britain to cancel Trump’s state visit
Mayor of London Sadiq Khan called for Prime Minister Theresa May to cancel US President Donald Trump’s planned state visit to the UK.
Trump is due to be granted a formal state visit to the UK in October but has in recent days embarked in a series of Twitter attacks on Khan. Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson said the visit will still go ahead.
Khan also went on ITV’s programme Good Morning Britain, and said: “There are millions of Muslims around the world who love America, me included. And to play into the so-called ISIS narrative that western liberal values are incompatible with Islam is ignorant.”
People are still locked out of their homes
Immediately following the terrorist attacks on Saturday, police put up a cordon for the affected area, while forensics and officers investigate.
That cordon is still in place and those who live within the cordon are still locked out of their homes:
The story is developing …
NOW WATCH: Melania Trump swats Donald Trump’s hand away as he attempts to hold it multiple times on his trip abroad
NOW WATCH: Briefing videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.