- Liverpool defeated Barcelona in dramatic fashion on Tuesday, coming back from a 3-0 deficit to win the Champions League semifinal 4-3 on aggregate.
- After the match, the team gathered together to sing their anthem “You’ll Never Walk Alone” along with their fans in a powerful scene.
- With the win, Liverpool advances to the Champions League final on June 1.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories
Liverpool completed a comeback for the ages on Tuesday, erasing a 3-0 deficit to take down Barcelona and advance to the Champions League final.
Coming into the day, very few gave Liverpool a chance at advancing. Down 3-0 on aggregate after the first leg of the semifinal and facing one of the best clubs on the planet, the Reds would need a truly special performance to mount a comeback and make the final.
But Liverpool rallied, scoring one goal in the first half and two quick goals at the start of the second to tie the semifinal on aggregate. Then, as the match entered its final minutes, Liverpool found the goal that would send them through to the final, catching Barcelona’s defence sleeping on a crafty corner kick that proved decisive.
After the match, Liverpool joined together arm-in-arm to celebrate with their fans, singing “You’ll Never Walk Alone” with the Anfield faithful.
While the tradition is a regular occurrence for the club, the song reverberated through the stadium with a combination of joy, exultation, and relief that can only come with a heroic victory pulled from such hopeless circumstances.
With the win, Liverpool advances to the Champions League final in Madrid on June 1, where the Reds will hope sing their song in triumph one more time.
- Read more from Tyler Lauletta:
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.