At the beginning of each month, Markit, HSBC, RBC, JP Morgan, and other data gathering institutions publish the latest local readings of the purchasing managers index (PMI). Each reading is based on surveys of hundreds of companies in each country. From Markit:
As a general rule, manufacturing PMI™ surveys are always released on the first working day of each month, construction PMIs on the second working day and services PMIs on the third working day.
These are not the most closely followed data points. However, the power of the insights is unparalleled.
Jim O’Neill, Chairman of Goldman Sachs Asset Management, believes the PMI numbers are among the most reliable economic indicators in the world.
Below is a round up of what we’ve heard so far.
- Netherlands: NEVI Netherlands Manufacturing PMI — 49.0, down from 49.6 in March
- Ireland: NCB Republic of Ireland Manufacturing PMI — 50.1, down from 51.5 in March
- Australia: AiG and PwC PMI — 43.9, down from 49.5 in March
- UK: Markit / CIPS UK Manufacturing PMI — 50.5, down from 51.9 in March
- Canada: RBC Canadian Manufacturing PMI — 53.3, up from 52.4 in March
- USA: ISM Manufacturing — 54.9, up from 53.4 in March
- Japan: Markit Japan Services PMI — 51.0, down from 53.7 in March
- South Korea: HSBC South Korea Manufacturing PMI — 51.9, down from 52.0 in March
- Taiwan: HSBC Taiwan Manufacturing PMI — 51.2, down from 54.1 in March
- China: HSBC China Manufacturing PMI — 49.3, up from 48.3 in March
- Indonesia: HSBC Indonesia Manufacturing PMI — 50.5, down from 50.8 in March
- India: HSBC India Manufacturing PMI — 54.9, up from 54.7 in March
- Russia: HSBC Russia Manufacturing PMI — 52.9, up from 50.8 in March
- Poland: HSBC Poland Manufacturing PMI — 49.2, down from 50.1 in March
- Turkey: HSBC Turkey Manufacturing PMI — 52.3, up from in 49.6 in March
- Spain: Markit Spain Manufacturing PMI — 43.5, down from 44.5 in March
- Czech Republic: HSBC Czech Republic Manufacturing PMI — 3:30 AM EST
- Italy: Markit / ADACI Italy Manufacturing PMI — 43.8, down from 47.9 in March.
- France: Markit France Manufacturing PMI — 46.9, up from 46.7 in March.
- Germany: Markit / BME Germany Manufacturing PMI — 46.2, down from 48.4 in March.
- Greece: Markit Greece Manufacturing PMI — 4:00 AM EST
- UK: Markit / CIPS UK Construction PMI — 4:30 AM EST
- Australia: AiG and PwC PMI — 5:00 AM EST
- Brazil: HSBC Brazil Manufacturing PMI — 9:00 AM EST
- GLOBAL: JPMorgan Global Manufacturing PMI — 11:00 AM EST
NOW WATCH: Money & Markets videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.