The German grocery chain Lidl is opening its first stores in the US after years of preparation.
On June 15, the company will open its first nine stores in North Carolina, South Carolina, and Virginia. Lidl released a list of the first stores on Tuesday.
The chain will add another 80 stores along the East Coast by the middle of next year.
Lidl (pronounced lee-dil) plans to eventually open as many as 600 stores in the US, according to a copy of a company presentation obtained by Business Insider. Lidl currently has 10,000 stores in 27 European countries.
The company describes itself as a cross between Trader Joe’s and Harris Teeter and promises to offer prices that are as much as 50% lower than its competition. Like Trader Joe’s, Lidl places a strong emphasis on private-label brands.
Here’s a list of the the locations that will open this summer. The nine stores opening on June 15 are listed in bold.
- 4050 W Vernon Ave., Kinston
- 1800 East Fire Tower Road, Greenville
- 3520 Raleigh Road Parkway West, Wilson
- 3209 NC 87 South 2, Sanford
- 940 N Wesleyan Blvd., Rocky Mount
- 3315 Sides Branch Road, Winston-Salem
- 547 US Hwy 70 West, Havelock
- 705 US 74 Business East, Rockingham
- 1120 South Main St., Wake Forest
- 8180 Warren H Abernathy Hwy., Spartanburg
- 2037 Wade Hampton Blvd., Greenville
- 6196 Providence Road, Virginia Beach
- 2000 W Mercury Blvd., Hampton
- 15169 Brandy Road, Culpeper
- 4033 Portsmouth Blvd., Chesapeake
- 6440 N Military Hwy, Norfolk
- 11076 Warwick Blvd, Newport News
- 12151 W. Broad St, Richmond
- 5110 S. Laburnum Ave, Richmond
- 1311 Mall Drive, North Chesterfield
The first 100 customers to arrive at the stores opening on June 15 will receive a wooden coin for a chance to win up to $US100 in Lidl gift cards. Shoppers will also be given samples of Lidl’s products and get a complimentary Lidl reusable bag.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.