Messi’s total earnings include $US31 million (€28 million) in endorsements, including deals with Turkish Airlines and EA Sports, and $US39 million (€36 million) in salary with FC Barcelona in Spain’s La Liga. The salary makes Messi the highest-paid athlete in team sports based on salary alone.
Cristiano Ronaldo, Messi’s rival with Real Madrid, is the second-highest-paid soccer player with total earnings of $US59 million (€54 million).
Here is the top ten:
- Lional Messi, FC Barcelona (Spain) — $US71 million (€65 million)
- Cristiano Ronaldo, Real Madrid (Spain) — $US59 million (€54 million)
- Neymar Jr, FC Barcelona (Spain) — $US40.0 million (€36.5 million)
- Thiago Silva, Paris Saint-Germain (France) — $US30.1 million (€27.5 million)
- Robin Van Persie, Manchester United (England) — $US28.1 million (€25.6 million)
- Gareth Bale, Real Madrid (Spain) — $US26.1 million (€23.8 million)
- Wayne Rooney, Manchester United (England) — $US24.7 million (€22.5 million)
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Paris Saint-Germain (France) — $US23.6 million (€21.5 million)
- Sergio Agüero, Manchester City (England) — $US23.3 million (€21.2 million)
- Robert Lewandowski, Bayern Munich (Germany) — $US22.2 million (€20.2 million)
NOW WATCH: Briefing videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.