- Pro-Trump lawyer L. Lin Wood says he will refuse a mental health assessment from the Georgia State Bar.
- In a post on Telegram, Wood says he didn’t violate any professional code and is “of sound mind.”
- As the post goes on, it takes a threatening tone: “… like all of us, the State Bar will have to face the consequences of its choices,” he wrote.
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.
A far-right, pro-Trump attorney who is at risk of losing his licence to practice law posted to the alternative messaging app Telegram on Friday, saying he will refuse to take a mental health assessment the Georgia State Bar has requested.
L. Lin Wood, an Atlanta-based defamation lawyer, rose to infamy last year because of his role in former President Donald Trump’s unhinged attempt to overthrow the election, and representing the teenager who shot three Black Lives Matter demonstrators during unrest over the summer.
He has been banned from Twitter after repeatedly spreading disinformation and conspiracy theories.
The city of Detroit had also previously called for Wood, and other lawyers involved in the election scheme, to be disbarred in Michigan and other states where they are licensed.
The State Bar of Georgia Chief Operating Officer Sarah Coole confirmed in an email to Insider that an inquiry pertaining to Wood is ongoing under a rule that says mental illness could be grounds for disbarment. She said the investigation process is confidential and did not provide further comment.
In a Telegram post on Friday afternoon, Wood said he would refuse the exam if it was formally requested of him.
“I am of sound mind and I have not violated any rule of professional conduct,” he wrote.
Wood went on to talk about his career as a defamation attorney, and his work representing Richard Jewell.
Toward the end, he took a threatening tone.
“I hope that the state bar will not foolishly seek what they have no right to have. But the choice is theirs to make. Like all of us â€” we have the right to choose. But like all of us, the State Bar will have to face the consequences of its choices,” he wrote on Telegram Friday. “I will not go quietly in the night.”
Wood’s Telegram page is full of ranting posts and Bible verses. He has over 716,000 followers.
Wood didn’t immediately respond to a voicemail from Insider on Friday.
The State Bar of Georgia didn’t return a message seeking comment on Wood’s tone or the pending mental health assessment.
- Read more:
- The city of Detroit calls for pro-Trump attorneys Sidney Powell and Lin Wood to be disbarred for spreading ‘objectively false allegations’
- Pro-Trump lawyer Lin Wood insists he is not insane after tweeting that Mike Pence should face execution by firing squad
- Lawyers planning to defend the suspected Kenosha gunman run a right-wing organisation that brings ‘lawsuits to stop the lies and smears of the radical left’
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.