- LeBron James received fresh criticism after a video went viral showing the Cavaliers bench just after the devastating final seconds of regulation in Game 1 of the NBA Finals.
- When asked about the sequence, James joked about the criticism before asking “We’re in the NBA Finals – how much more picking up teammates do you want me to do?”
LeBron James knows he’s as under the microscope as much as any athlete in the history of sports.
On Tuesday while taking questions from reporters, James was asked about his feelings on recent criticisms regarding a clip from Game 1 that recently went viral.
The clip shows the Cavaliers in the time between J.R. Smith’s baffling blunder at the end of regulation and the start of overtime, depicting the team’s bench as heartbroken and stunned as they realise their opportunity to steal Game 1 had likely slipped away.
A reporter asked James if he believed criticisms of him were fair, in that he was not taking time in the break to lift up his teammates. James at first offered a sarcastic response.
“Me? Me being criticised?” James said. “You’re saying I got criticised for something, right? Nah, I don’t believe that. Not me.”
James then got serious, and suggested he has already done enough to lift up his teammates.
“I don’t care. I don’t care at all,” James said. “We’re in the NBA Finals – how much more picking up teammates do you want me to do? We’re in the NBA Finals competing for a championship.”
You can watch the scene unfold below.
— NBA TV (@NBATV) June 5, 2018
The Cavaliers are now down 2-0 in their fourth consecutive NBA Finals showdown against the Golden State Warriors. The series head to Cleveland for Game 3, which is set to tip off on Wednesday night.
More NBA Finals coverage:
- Warriors fans troll J.R. Smith with ‘MVP’ chants and signs
- LeBron James may have authored the greatest Finals game ever, and it slipped through the Cavs’ hands
- J.R. Smith commits horrible blunder in final seconds of Game 1 of the Finals by seeming to forget the score and dribbling out the clock with the game tied
- Devastating photo shows J.R. Smith missed wide-open teammate LeBron James during his late-game blunder
- This photo of a very upset LeBron James sums up the brutal way the Cleveland Cavaliers blew the win in the final seconds
NOW WATCH: Briefing videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.