- After scoring 40 points and helping the Los Angeles Lakers beat the New Orleans Pelicans, cameras caught LeBron James eating a stringy licorice candy many assumed to be Red Vines.
- James is said to have a sweet tooth, though he didn’t comment on his postgame snack.
- James’ choice of snack set off another round of a long-running candy debate: Red Vines vs. Twizzlers.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
LeBron James enjoyed the fruits of his labour on Tuesday after scoring 40 points to beat Zion Williams and the New Orleans Pelicans, 118-109.
With the game in hand, James returned to the bench, where cameras then caught him appearing to eat Red Vines, a stringy red candy in the licorice family. While cameras showed someone near the Lakers bench with a box of Red Vines.
LeBron snacked on some candy after dropping 40 ???? pic.twitter.com/xpTQFabKQN
— ESPN (@espn) February 26, 2020
Bron dropped 40 on the Pelicans and started eating Red Vines on the sideline pic.twitter.com/XEI2jtIyJq
— gifdsports (@gifdsports) February 26, 2020
James didn’t address eating candy after the game.
That James would enjoy such a postgame snack may not come as a surprise, however. While James is renowned for taking care of his body, former Cleveland Cavaliers teammate Tristan Thompson said James has a sweet tooth.
“He has the worst f—ing diet ever … He’s really a specimen. He eats like s—,” Thompson told The Athletic. “I remember one year I tried to eat like he ate and it just didn’t work out. I started gaining weight and said, ‘F— this.’ I mean it works for him. He loves sweets. He loves sweets. He eats desserts and French toast. It’s crazy how his body just burns it.”
James’ snack choice then set off a Twitter debate about two stringy, licorice candies: Twizzlers vs. Red Vines. Many leaned Red Vines.
If LeBron goes Red Vines over Twizzlers, then that officially answer’s the GOAT question forever.
— Fred Katz (@FredKatz) February 26, 2020
I think the serious licorice fans know Red Vines are vastly superior to Twizzlers. https://t.co/IkiQX86cCR
— Steve Kyler (@stevekylerNBA) February 26, 2020
Red vines > Twizzlers
Don’t @ me. https://t.co/e6hK5gMSJN
— Keiana Martin (@KeianaMartinTV) February 26, 2020
You wanna debate GIF vs. JIF, fine. You wanna debate who the GOAT of a given sport is, fine.
There is no debate on Red Vines vs. Twizzlers. Red Vines are objectively better.https://t.co/kGZbTpc0Rv
— David Fucillo (@davidfucillo) February 26, 2020
The debate has been around for years. In 2019, The Takeout broke down the two candies, comparing their “longevity, versatility, legacy, and taste.”
In 2017, a Reddit thread titled “Red Vines vs Twizzlers: Is it even a debate?” generated 22 comments and split votes.
At the time of this writing, James is yet to weigh in on the debate. Red Vines, however, seemed to take the victory.
- Read more:
- 21-year-old Celtics star Jayson Tatum is dominating after ‘reaching a new height’ and earning praise from LeBron James
- LeBron James wants people to stop asking him about Kobe Bryant’s death, because he and Bryant’s family are ‘trying to move on’
- Shaquille O’Neal shared Kobe Bryant’s hilarious response to being told ‘there’s no I in team’ after Lakers teammates complained he didn’t pass enough
- NBA legends and celebrities came out in droves to pay their respects at Kobe and Gianna Bryant’s memorial. Here’s who attended.